Cultivated Reef

Biocube skimmer

saltydawg22

I know - there are tons of threads about this and other skimmers for the biocube - but none that I have found through the search function really answers my question. LFS guy said to remove the bioballs and install the skimmer on the wall separating the filter side of the compartments from the bioball compartment. So the skimmer will sit in the middle section where the bioballs were. He also said leaving the filter/carbon cartridge in is fine. But the "manual" from Oceanic doesn't say anything about putting the filter back in. So this is my presumed install - remove bioballs - remove filter cartridge - install skimmer with collection chamber off - put filter cartridge back in - reinstall collection chamber and close the lid. Then adjust the air flow as instructed in the manual from Oceanic.

Again - I've read many threads on why or why not to use a skimmer, why it isn't necessary, why I should have bought one different than the Oceanic, etc. I know. What I'm trying to figure out is, with the decision and purchase I have made, is my install listed above correct.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on the install!!

OK well, I have an update - I tried it as listed above and there wasn't enough water getting into the second chamber fast enough to fill the skimmer so I have set it up like the manual from Oceanic says - I took out the filter and have the skimmer in the chamber that the filter came out of. So now, should I put the bioballs back in the middle chamber? I am going to do some research and make sure that the bio balls and protein skimmer wouldn't be fighting one another or whether they are trying to accomplish the same goal. Right now the second chamber water level is very low so I'm thinking I will put the balls back in to stop the "waterfall" sound. Or I could just put the second chambers lid back on and see if that dissipates the sound - maybe the aeration is good. Sorry, the chemistry thing is new - I'm trying to learn it as I move along...

And I'm not sure I like having the cotton part of the filter out of there - unless the skimmer will catch the floating debris also.

After reading through a lot of articles on the net tonight, I'm thinking he may not be as smart as he has portrayed himself to be. Looks to me (and confirmed by you) like putting it in the first chamber is the right thing - and keeping the bioballs in the second chamber is the right way for my current setup.

I am on my 6th week of my tank being setup - 4 weeks of 10# live sand and 17# live rock with out of the box filtration setup - then 2 weeks with 5 astraea snails, 2 Mexican jumbo snails (?) and 5 red legged hermit crabs - just added the protein skimmer tonight with 2 percula clowns and removed the filter floss/charcoal cartridge from the out of the box set up.

After my tank cycles like this for a while - with the addition of a cleaner shrimp or 2 - I think I will start a slow removal of the bioballs so that I can maintain safe nitrate levels to introduce some corals of some sort - not sure what at this time. Sure I'll add an anemone for the clowns, but would like to add some more coral than that and keep at 2 clown and maybe a 3rd small fish or some sort.

Hey, plans are made for changing! But you have to start with one...

Archived