ReefCleaners.org

are my yellow polyps safe?

dubious49

hi all. just came back from the LFS today with a rock of yellow polyps. ever since i added the rock to the tank my hermits are all over it. they don't seem to be bothering the polyps but just the surrounding encrusted algae deposits on the rock. i'm assuming that the hermits will leave the polyps alone and move on once they've had their fill on the rock, but i just wanted to be sure. thanks!

yep. you guys were right. they had their little meeting on the new rock and have since vanished to explore. the polyps are all open and looking sweet! thanks!

technoshaman

Yellow polyps need to be fed to grow - they are not photosynthetic to my knowledge. And if you feed them they will spread like wildfire - to the point of being a nusiance even.

I have never seen a hermit that actually ate coral - I have had emeralds that will pull polyps off but I think they are trying to get to algae hidden there under it.

technoshaman

Mine will eat brine, mysis, krill, pellet, flake - basically anything they can catch and fit in their mouth - try taking a small pellet and dropping it gently in the center of one of the polyps you will see what I mean.

Archived