inTank Media Baskets

Help! Sick Mushroom??

jcarter350

The mushroom picture was doing very well for about the 4 weeks i've had it. One day it wasn't opening up like it had been and a few days later i noticed it was splitting. This being my first tank and one of my first mushrooms I wasn't sure what was going on. The water all checked out ok, i do weekly water changes and add a few additives also. I thought it might be reproducing but it has been 5 days of this now and it looks awful. Can anyone tell me what they think please?

Sorry about the quality of the pic, couldn't get it to focus with the exposure i wanted so i had to go for low exposure and no zoom.

Looks like somthing is eating it. usualy they dont split. they just move and their base leavs a little somthing behind and it becomes a new shroom. ( run of the mill discoma shrooms that is.)

If it was a hairy shroom or a ric I would say seeing it split would be normal. But not in the way the pic sugest's though. it realy looks like somthing is eating it.

The first time i noticed it I immediatley suspected my peppermint shrimp making a meal out of it so i spent a long time at various hours watching for about 15 minutes or so at all hours of the day and night. As of now, I have yet to see anything eat or even look at it funny. Not to say that something ISN'T eatiang it, i just haven't seen anything. Besides the pep shrimp, i have a tomato clown and a blue/yellow damsel and they don't bother any of my corals except for the occasional brine shrimp falling in the colony of polyps. I suspect something else, haven't seen any small or nocturnal critters either, this is strange to me.

-jason

Archived