Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lets get some new feedback!

CONSTANTNE

Which do you prefer?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Quality, price, and features

• Reefkeeper 2
    • Aquacontroller Jr.

From what I understand the RK is supposed to be more user friendly, but less flexible in terms of capibilities.

If you don't have a computer background the Neptune controllers could be a bit more difficult out of the gate, but they come with a default programs that works great and is easy to understand. You can also get all the help you need from Curt at Neptune.

I have an ACjr and couldn't be more pleased!

Aquanotes is available in a free version that will help program the controller. Though programing it is not hard just time consuming.

The lite does not have a web server feature. though it is possible to remote desktop to the computer hooked up to the controller, its better if you can go to any public browser and be able to check your tank.

From what I understand the RK is supposed to be more user friendly, but less flexible in terms of capibilities.

If you don't have a computer background the Neptune controllers could be a bit more difficult out of the gate, but they come with a default programs that works great and is easy to understand. You can also get all the help you need from Curt at Neptune.

I have an ACjr and couldn't be more pleased!

I like it that ACjr documents the telnet commands, any programmer can write simple software for it on any platform (like mac osx or linux).

I like the functionality of ac jr., but aesthetically, RK2 is better designed. For instance, if you place the display in front of your tank stand, you only see one wire coming out of it, compared to Ac jr that will have power, serial, temp and ph probe wires coming out of it !!! or is there a clean way to hide the wires?

If rk2 documents its serial command interface, then I would probably go with it, as I can write a simple software for it to work on mac osx or linux.

still undecided.

If rk2 documents its serial command interface, then I would probably go with it, as I can write a simple software for it to work on mac osx or linux.

still undecided.

Can you even access the RK2's command interface? That's the one thing keeping me still on the fence too, not so much for osx or linux support, but I like the idea of being able to program functionality on a computer and transfer it over.

can you program ac jr. timer to turn power on or off on different time on different days of the week?

for example, if I want light to turn on an hour earlier on weekends.

all the sample programs I see shows only time.

I can't comment on the AC jr but I love my RKII. It has already saved my tank twice. Once during a heatwave/chiller malfunction - my livestock would have fried without the cut-off. And once when a heater malfunctioned.

Being able to control most of the tank's functions from one controller is the biggest appeal for me. I like the manual interface. The control unit looks cool on the side of the tank. B) I don't use the computer link so I can't really comment on that (it sounds rudimentary compared to other controllers). And sure, there are lots more things that I wish it could do. I wish it had more plug slots. I wish it had more probe options. (Salinity, ORP, Calcium) I wish it had its own float sensors for some ATO/sump redundancy. And I wish it had a blackout failsafe that could trigger a battery-powered bubbler. Oh yeah, and I wish that it made me breakfast.

The new RK Elite addresses some of these issues but imo it is overpriced and still has lots of bugs.

--bubbles

Archived