SaltCritters.com

30 hex FOWLR

Chyendra

my parents got me a nice 30 gallon hex last christmas (functionless tank design if you ask me, but it was a gift)

this would be a FOWLR, and originally i was hopeing for maybe 3 dwarf angels (i love the flame angels and the lemonpeel angels)

but after reading a few threads i'm thinking this won't be a possiablity...

what other type of small/mediam size (2"-4") group of fish would work well? i love gobies but i want a fish that will swim in the open alot and not hang out at the bottem or in the rockwork.

how about a maroon clown? what could go with that?

lots of questions i guess, i'd appreciate any advice

I have a 42G hex FOWLR (Xenia as well as it's overflowed from my other tanks). I had 2 false percs, and 1 flame angel in it before my AC went out and the tank hit 95. I won't go into what happened after that. With your 30 I wouldn't go with any angels however a pair of clowns would do well and possibly some firefish (they are jumpers and depending on your clowns they may get tormented)or green chromis (they aren't the most exciting but they are sw fish :)) or bangaii cardinal fish (I had put a pair of them in with the clowns and flame however I believe they got the beat down from the other fish). The clowns would be the most active and a royal gramma would compliment them well however they are a bit more shy than clowns. I would get Paletta's book The New Marine Aquarium as it has a good section on fish and compatiblity regarding agressiveness etc.

How are you setting up your tank? Hex is a bit of a functionless design (more for looks) however it is good for FOWLR and reefs can be done. The main problem with the hex design is adequate water movement and surface volume however I've seen it done quite a few times with few issues. Good luck and if you have any questions let me know.

well....a Hex is not totally functionless...it is really tall so it allows you to do some cool rock work stuff.

Also, since it is tall, if you plan your fish right you can keep quite a few.

I really can't list every single fish for you in every catergory, but this is what I would do...

Get a few top level fish, some mid level fish and some bottom dewelling fish and you can have a really nice tank, lots of movement and turn your "functionless design" into a functioning one.

as previously stated, check out some books.

Good luck:)

i have penguin 170 on it that i can convert to saltwater, and i can pick up a couple of power heads oneto flow across the bottem and one flowing upward. i'm thinking about 35-45 pounds of LR (fiji)

what about a saddleback toby, a maroon clown, and one more. (would that be too much?)

i like false percs and royal grammas but that's what i plan on keeping in my 20L reef and i wanted something different.

thanks for the help.

saddleback toby??

well, in a 30gal you put more than 3 fish I am sure. What about a flame hawk fish, a couple a clowns, a blenny you know some cool stuff...I would say, if you stay small like that you may get away with 5 possibly 6 fish in that 30gal tank of yours.

if you want something diff, look at some Clarkii clowns

Wow, nice link...I had never heard of that kind of puffer.

If you are keeping a puffer I would keep the puffer by itself, trust me on that one.

I have tons of friends that keep puffers...and they are much better off alone. The puffers are, not my friends...LOL

well, the boys at reef central say it's a no-no with the maroon clown (big time fin nipper) but purhaps he would do well with fast swimming fish (damsels and wrasses).

sooo... now i'm looking into those types of fish.

is a 30 hex large enough for wrasses? (i'm thinking flasher wrasses here) and how many? 3-4?

Archived