Coral Vue Hydros

Skimmer / filter in one... Skilter?

blur1221

i have a ten gal nano and i bought a skimmer for it. WAY TOO BIG! basically the size of my tank. I want something that is going to have the least amount IN my tank. So i found this, its called a Skilter, filter and skimmer in one. Has anyone had any expierence with this before?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...amp;pcatid=3641

it says for 10-55 gal tanks so im guessing its good for me.

I found this as well but it goes in the tank, and i just dont have room for that

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=14676

any recommendations?

Thanks

DONT GET EITHER! ive read so many bad reviews about the fission, and i personally have a skilter filter. I get zero skimmate, alls i get is microbubbles like crazy. Its also pretty loud. Ive managed to get an ok use out of it by converting it into a fuge. i would recommend not getting either. BTW which skimmer did you get?

DONT GET EITHER! ive read so many bad reviews about the fission, and i personally have a skilter filter. I get zero skimmate, alls i get is microbubbles like crazy. Its also pretty loud. Ive managed to get an ok use out of it by converting it into a fuge. i would recommend not getting either. BTW which skimmer did you get?

I have a aquaclear 30 with a live rock instead of a sponge. So then what would you recommend as a skimmer. I really want to get one (that would be adequate for my tank)

for a 10 gallon a skimmer isnt nessicary at all. Weekly water changes replenish all of the elements. I would save my :bling: on corals instead. If you really feel its nessicary (which its not) i would get a remora nano skimmer

Skilter suck, I have tried every way to mod them to make them more efficient, but they never work that well and require constant adjustment if you use an air stone to beef them up.

Just get an AquaC Remora Nano, and yes it will help even a 10 gal tank.

Obviously a tunze or remora is best, but they also cost 150$. You dont really need it in a 10g. I also ihave a 10g but i am getting a rio nano skimmer. Its not comparable to a remora, however i have heard it does remove some skimmate and it will allow me to store more media. Its only 30$ so cant really go wrong since you dont need a skimmer in the first place. I heard this skimmer isnt bad compared to fission skimmers where all you hear is that they are junk.

I dont get why people say you dont need a skimmer on a small tank.

A skimmer on a 10g works the same way it does on a 100g, and IMO the 100g needs it less, dilution is the solution to pollution ect ect.....

A skimmer on a small tank pulls out just as much skimmate as it does on a larger tank. So are these people who say you dont need it saying that cleaner water wont make the tank more successful?

If anything, a $120 skimmer on a 10g works like a $500 skimmer on a 40 gal, and makes your reef even easier to keep and more successful.

You only get out of this hobby what you put in, dont be cheap.

Skilter suck, I have tried every way to mod them to make them more efficient, but they never work that well and require constant adjustment if you use an air stone to beef them up.

Just get an AquaC Remora Nano, and yes it will help even a 10 gal tank.

+1 it's a piece-o-junk...i used to run one on a 20G along time ago...barely collected any skimmate... -_-

-David

I dont get why people say you dont need a skimmer on a small tank.

A skimmer on a 10g works the same way it does on a 100g, and IMO the 100g needs it less, dilution is the solution to pollution ect ect.....

A skimmer on a small tank pulls out just as much skimmate as it does on a larger tank. So are these people who say you dont need it saying that cleaner water wont make the tank more successful?

If anything, a $120 skimmer on a 10g works like a $500 skimmer on a 40 gal, and makes your reef even easier to keep and more successful.

You only get out of this hobby what you put in, dont be cheap.

Hi SeeDemTails,

I have been reading your inputs and looked at your pictures....you definitely have unique talents (from your Dad?!) which you have displayed from a standpoint of knowledge, inventiveness, persistence, intelligence and love for this hobby.

Normally I do not make comments on Reef forums unless I see some hideous comment made by someone that might hurt the progress of other hobbyists.

As the owner of Euro-Reef, my son Jeff and I have always tried to promote this hobby by providing knowledge (about 20 years now), high quality products and corals (when we had a reef shop) and for the past 12 years, high end, very efficient skimmers using technology from Europe which we improved in the USA (for years the German skimmer makers could not figure out why their skimmers did not perform in the USA!).

So I am not surprised about the comments that all you have to do is water changes to be successful.....just forgetting about the cost of salt, mixing the water/salt etc., the job of a skimmer is to remove natural and unnatural byproducts before they turn into harmful chemicals. The skimmer is a one time cost (assuming you bought one that actually does the job!) while replacing animals/corals is a continuing cost if they keep dying

due to ignorance. This is not a inexpensive hobby and we always told our customers the true costs in order to prevent animals from being killed by inadequate equipment (lights and skimmers primarely).

Anyway, I hope to once again help the hobbyists to keep their Nanos healthy with new technology foam making

skimmers in small packages (which is really hard to do, even though we could have done it a year ago but felt that we could do even better by being patient in persevering to develop better impellers) . We now feel we have achieved our goal and will make these nano skimmers available soon.

This comment is not meant as a plug to promote sales (these skimmers will sell themselves as have their bigger brothers) but rather as part of our continous attempts to promote this great hobby and make more people successful.

With my regards,

Robbert

Hi SeeDemTails,

I have been reading your inputs and looked at your pictures....you definitely have unique talents (from your Dad?!) which you have displayed from a standpoint of knowledge, inventiveness, persistence, intelligence and love for this hobby

Coming from the owner or Euro-Reef...Wow thank you so much! :blush:

I love skimmers no matter what size tank they are on, and I cant wait to see the new skimmers!

Archived