ReefCleaners.org

Euro-reef nano skimmer pics

Sciman_SF

You can see pictures of the new Euro-reef nano-skimmers as they are being tested at http://nano-skimmers.info/.

I'm not sure what the final design will look like but these prototypes look like they kick butt. Can't wait for this product to finally be available.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they are going to be priced between $80-$100 and they are working on a few different sizes to accommodate different tanks or sump.

thats not dry skimmate is it? my BC29R gets darker than that...

You can only get dry skim mate from an aquarium in which junk is present...our little test tanks contain 3 small fish and live rock and these skimmers take out during testing whatever these little fish generate.

Efficient skimmers must pass these tests:

- lots of foam

- extremely small bubbles

- reasonable contact time

- large foam riser ID

Our Nano skimmer design was based on these parameters otherwise they would not see the light of day!

The rest is adjustment, steady water level, animals which generate junk and you can pick your skim mate color.

Imagine what these skimmers would do in a "real" aquarium....?!

well what is an estimated price and gallon these can handle? might get me one.

edit, if you need someone to test on a stocked aquarium i gots ya covered! :D

if these come out between 80-100 bucks then im the king of england.. i bet they'll be around 130-150... if its got the euro reef name on it it will cost more... these are going to come out right when i need a bigger skimmer, which sadly will be more water then these are rated for... BOOOO!!!!

I'm not sure if this is the same prototype unit that they had previously, but if so it IS a great unit and I've seen it in operation in person when Euro-Reef brought out demos of both the nano-skimmer as well as tank prototypes as well to an SCNRS meet back last year. If the results conclude good, I'd definitely be interested in getting one of these skimmers! B)

$150 still ain't that bad, if they're under like $175 I may get one, if they're under $120 hell yeah, no doubt I'll get one!

if these come out between 80-100 bucks then im the king of england.. i bet they'll be around 130-150... if its got the euro reef name on it it will cost more... these are going to come out right when i need a bigger skimmer, which sadly will be more water then these are rated for... BOOOO!!!!

Well Matty1124, how many gallons and what kind of animals will your next tank be occupied with?

I bet you that I can build you one that will do....I have tested anywhere from 3Watt pumps to 45Watt pumps sofar with our new impeller material and the results were excellent. A Sedra KSP3500 with our regular impeller does about 6 l/min of air...the new impeller resulted in 13 l/min drawing 25Watts, which was way too much for our RS80 skimmer...it blew the cover right off the cup. Even with the same amount of air intake, the bubbles produced are extremely fine resulting in a larger total surface area and more efficient skimming....so what do you need?

I'm not sure if this is the same prototype unit that they had previously, but if so it IS a great unit and I've seen it in operation in person when Euro-Reef brought out demos of both the nano-skimmer as well as tank prototypes as well to an SCNRS meet back last year. If the results conclude good, I'd definitely be interested in getting one of these skimmers! B)

Those skimmers used a different impeller material to make foam...even though they were pretty good, the new nanos produce even better foam and the material is tough...for us it was worth the wait to be able to offer a product that we would put in our own tanks and be proud of!

We are also slightly modifying the Nano aqaurium ( which includes a seperate chamber to hold top-off water, pump and water level sensor) design to enlarge the skimmer area to hold a 3"OD Nano skimmer body....we already tested the pump for this design and it looks great...will show some pics soon.

Well Matty1124, how many gallons and what kind of animals will your next tank be occupied with?

I bet you that I can build you one that will do....I have tested anywhere from 3Watt pumps to 45Watt pumps sofar with our new impeller material and the results were excellent. A Sedra KSP3500 with our regular impeller does about 6 l/min of air...the new impeller resulted in 13 l/min drawing 25Watts, which was way too much for our RS80 skimmer...it blew the cover right off the cup. Even with the same amount of air intake, the bubbles produced are extremely fine resulting in a larger total surface area and more efficient skimming....so what do you need?

I'm trying to pick a new skimmer RIGHT NOW!

On my current 20H w/ 10-gal sump, I have only about 8" square in the sump for the skimmer. I could make a little more room if I had to... Plus, I have only 23" of head room above. I'm trying to stay at-or-under $200, and finally, I want my new skimmer to be able to be transfered to my next setup, which will be a 40 breeder w/ 20-gallon sump. This thing looks like it would be ideal. Make me one!

Both the current tank and the future tank are predominately SPS and LPS.

the set up i have now is around 50g... but the new one will be around 90g (40breeder display+29g refugium+20g sump)... plans now are for a mixed reef, with plenty of fish to make the gf happy

Those skimmers used a different impeller material to make foam...even though they were pretty good, the new nanos produce even better foam and the material is tough...for us it was worth the wait to be able to offer a product that we would put in our own tanks and be proud of!

We are also slightly modifying the Nano aqaurium ( which includes a seperate chamber to hold top-off water, pump and water level sensor) design to enlarge the skimmer area to hold a 3"OD Nano skimmer body....we already tested the pump for this design and it looks great...will show some pics soon.

Well from what a friend tells me the amount of mini bubbles this thing produces I might as well put 10 air stones in my tank. Not sure if she is right on this but there are a bunch of bubbles coming out of this skimmer. If they get it fixed I will buy one but until then I wouldnt test it if you paid me ... there is no point.

Well from what a friend tells me the amount of mini bubbles this thing produces I might as well put 10 air stones in my tank. Not sure if she is right on this but there are a bunch of bubbles coming out of this skimmer. If they get it fixed I will buy one but until then I wouldnt test it if you paid me ... there is no point.

I suggest you look at the pictures yourselves and carefully read the caption below each picture instead of relying on another persons' misinterpretation as so often happens in these forums!

The picture showing all the bubbles in the aquarium was a test to see what a particular pump with a particular sized impeller would produce in a particular sized skimmer body....and obviously it was too much foam for this body. The point is that I now know that I could put this very small pump on a much larger OD skimmer body design and produce a very efficient skimmer without putting bubbles in the aquarium. That is what testing is all about and we have been testing and producing very efficient skimmers for the past 15 years.

With all that said, also realize that if the Nano aquarium manufacturers really knew how to design Nano aquariums with an area designed to hold a skimmer and proper baffling, you could put this particular skimmer in its' area and you would never see any bubbles returned into your aquarium. Sadly for the hobbyists, they have not quite figured out how to do a simple thing like this. We already have such an aquarium for 1.5 years and may be putting it on the market even though that is not our market area of interest.

any dimensions on the unit or still unknown since its still a prototype?

In order to select qualified beta testers we need the following info:

- footprint available in chamber

- water level in skimmer chamber (if water level is not constant, no use trying skimmer since foam level will vary with water level)

- partition (to which skimmer will be attached) height above the water level

- height available above water level in skimmer chamber

The above requested info is important so that the skimmers will be designed and tested to function properly without constant tweaking which I personally hate to do.

It must be realized that skimmer performance may be limited by the skimmer chamber design of each individual Nano aquarium type.

We plan to make the selection in about 2 weeks...so please submit your info ASAP

Thanks for your patience and support! :)

I'm trying to pick a new skimmer RIGHT NOW!

On my current 20H w/ 10-gal sump, I have only about 8" square in the sump for the skimmer. I could make a little more room if I had to... Plus, I have only 23" of head room above. I'm trying to stay at-or-under $200, and finally, I want my new skimmer to be able to be transfered to my next setup, which will be a 40 breeder w/ 20-gallon sump. This thing looks like it would be ideal. Make me one!

Both the current tank and the future tank are predominately SPS and LPS.

Please look at the required info I posted today to ensure that skimmer will perform as designed.

I will see what I can come up with.... for a 60 gallon system you will need at least an 4-5" OD body.

hey i will buy one if they are under 200 if they perform likr they say they do

Please review my post today requesting info on the skimmer chamber....every body has a different tank configuration and I will try to meet as many as possible.

Thanks

...also realize that if the Nano aquarium manufacturers really knew how to design Nano aquariums with an area designed to hold a skimmer and proper baffling, you could put this particular skimmer in its' area and you would never see any bubbles returned into your aquarium. Sadly for the hobbyists, they have not quite figured out how to do a simple thing like this. We already have such an aquarium for 1.5 years and may be putting it on the market even though that is not our market area of interest.

well I assume the reason you starting making skimmers was to produce a better product where a need was present. As a business I am sure you would want to fill those needs where others are lacking - so where can I see this 1.5 year old superior nano? Also I am wondering what is your test/research time on new products? If it is 1.5 years or more then ... -> How long has this skimmer been in the works? -> When can we expect to see it for sale and where can I find it?

Am I to understand it this skimmer as it is in the pics would require your unreleased nano to eliminate the bubbles and to produce the desired foam to be efficient? :huh:

well I assume the reason you starting making skimmers was to produce a better product where a need was present. As a business I am sure you would want to fill those needs where others are lacking - so where can I see this 1.5 year old superior nano? Also I am wondering what is your test/research time on new products? If it is 1.5 years or more then ... -> How long has this skimmer been in the works? -> When can we expect to see it for sale and where can I find it?

Am I to understand it this skimmer as it is in the pics would require your unreleased nano to eliminate the bubbles and to produce the desired foam to be efficient? :huh:

I have added some pics of the Nano aquarium we have used for testing for the past 1.5 years so you can see the design which includes a pre-filter area, a top off chamber, water level sensor and supply pump. We just used a simple light, but you can make your own light selection.Notice that the skimmer has its own skimmer chamber with fixed water level. Like I said before, we primarely concentrate on skimmer designs but this Nano tank has great features. Comes in glass or acrylic.

How many Nano tanks do you know with these features?

You will also find pics of the test nano skimmers which produce a lot of foam without dumping bubbles in the aquarium itself so you do not need our "unreleased" nanotank...our nano tank design would not return bubbles even if you wanted it to. :D

In order to select qualified beta testers we need the following info:

- footprint available in chamber

- water level in skimmer chamber (if water level is not constant, no use trying skimmer since foam level will vary with water level)

- partition (to which skimmer will be attached) height above the water level

- height available above water level in skimmer chamber

The above requested info is important so that the skimmers will be designed and tested to function properly without constant tweaking which I personally hate to do.

It must be realized that skimmer performance may be limited by the skimmer chamber design of each individual Nano aquarium type.

We plan to make the selection in about 2 weeks...so please submit your info ASAP

Thanks for your patience and support! :)

so im guessing we probably wont see this skimmer any time soon. its still in development stage and prototyping...

are you interesting in giving out prototypes to people outside of the united states?

Archived