Coral Vue Hydros

Store bought saltwater vs Home Mixed

yOyOYoo

For people with smaller nanos, like 15 gallons or less, do you guys mix your own saltwater for water changes or just add store saltwater?

I am getting ready to do my first water change with my 12 gallon and it just seems like such a hassle to mix only 1 gallon of water, which I can purchase it for about 49 cents.

Anything wrong with store bought saltwater?

IMO, there isn't anything wrong w/ bought sw as long as you trust your LFS. I've seen some pretty off kilter mixed sw...sky high salinity, etc. If I still had a LFS close to me that I'd buy it too.

Cameron

agreed..

I have seen some lfs sell there premix water, and call it RO/DI when i watch them running a hose from the sink.. now way its RO/Di.. and then the other issue i have seen where they mix a huge amount a month prior to someon buying it and there has been a lot of evap.. so there salinty is at 1.029.. i bought 10 gallons of water at this salinity! edded up making 15 gallons of saltwater :)

I use store bought water for both top and water changes. I trust my lfs quite well. Although I would mix myself if I had room for an RO/DI unit but merely for convenience. It would be less work then carrying jugs up the stairs.

Originally posted by yOyOYoo

it just seems like such a hassle to mix only 1 gallon of water,

Sure does. I plan on buying several gallons at a time and making several gallons of SW ahead of time a (saving a little for evap topoff). Store in a dark, cool container and it should be fine for several weeks if not months.

you dont top off with salt water...when water evaporate the salt stays behind. so if you keep adding salt water, you keep increasing the salt...

top off with regular water, not salt water

Originally posted by JLTRUK

you dont top off with salt water...

That's what I meant... mix most of it up as sw... dont mix up the rest for use as topoff...

I swear I have NEVER seen an LFS sell pre- mixed salt water before. Honestly. None of the LFS in my area do it. They dont even sell RO/DI water.

Yeah, I used to purchase my water from my LFS for both fresh RO, and salt water. I started purchasing the Catalina water, and then they started selling Kent water. (I think that's what it was called). But anyways, after finding out that most of the members here mix there water, I'm going to give it a try. Especially because I have an RO system at home.

Archived