Top Shelf Aquatics

Free Rare Macro to the Right Person

johnmaloney

johnmaloney

sorry, detailed location is a trade secret because it was near one of our colonies. from south florida though.

sorry, detailed location is a trade secret because it was near one of our colonies. from south florida though.

John, I sent you an email. :)

Looks like Gloiophloea, imo - a buddy of mine was doing research on that algae as a food source in Venezuela. Apparently it's a lot more common there than in Florida.

My tank is mostly macro nowadays but I wish this rare, exciting find was a more colorful form of Dictyota or Ochtodes. :)

johnmaloney

The Gloiophloea genus has been retired in the new scientific journals , this algae is also called Gloiophlea halliae as a Basionym (Setchell 1914). It has a synonym Pseudogloiophlea halliae (Joly et al), according to "The Seaweeds of Florida", Clinton Dawes-2008

Maybe that is why I couldn't find another picture of it though, I was looking for the new name. It was renamed in a paper by in 1985 (Huisman) to the new name Sciania Halliae. It does have a location type that is consistent with the Venezuelan range, and is reported to be known from there, but according to Clinton Dawes, it is rare there as well, maybe your buddy would know more about it, but there are a few species that are closely related that are food sources, but this one is not reported as such. Would be great if it was more common in other spots though, and this macro was widespread. I would love to be able to keep it regularly stocked.

Why dictyota and/or ochtodes? Because they grow fast?

Archived