inTank Media Baskets

Whats going on!?!?!

eddie29

Hey,

Heres my problem. Sunday I get a O. Clown. After 25 minutes of alclimation I put it in the tank. Monday night it dies. Tuesday I get a pair of clowns thinking it might have been the stress of just being the only fish in the tank that killed the other one. This time I also take an hour to acclimate them. I first put them in the bag and leave them in the tank for an 20 minutes. Then I start dripping water from the tank into the bag while the bag is still in the tank(wondering how that is possible? The bag was in the sump that is below =-) After the bag is almost full I take the fish only and put him in the tank. That night both fish are great and are swiming back in forth. In the morning I wake up to see them with fungus around there fins and eyes. I do a 45% water change. I get back and one is dead and the other one is looking like hell. My hermit crab is fine the only other thing in there. Here are the specs of the tank.

16 gallon tank

24 lbs of lr from various places

20 lbs of sand

10 gallon sump

Penguin 125 for carbon

a small powerhead

Levels as of two days ago was

0 Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia.

79 Temp

1.024 salinity.

Any ideas would be apperciated. Also, they werent fed when I got them and the light was turned off.

Eddie

I'll post a pic as soon as the other fish dies cause I think its going to happen soon so that you guys know what I mean about the fungus.

Eddie

No dosing cause I don't got a need for it. I think What I'm going to do is as soon as this one dies. Take them to the lfs, have them see if they can identify anything. Then break down the tank. Add more sand, scrap the lr and start from stratch.

Eddie

You didn't by chance get them from one of those large chain pet stores that shall remain nameles did you?

Not sure if you need to be so drastic as to tear apart the tank. You mentioned your water params but you didn't mention how long you have had the tank setup and cycling. When did you set the tank up, how long has it been cycling...did you see a rise in the ammonia and trites and trates, and then a drop off?

Just wondering.

Tank is entering its 4th week. When i started the tank I didn't start testing the water till its 5th day and I got zero levels. That continued when I got the lfs to test the water to see if my kit was off. They also got the same results. That was Sunday or Monday when i bought the first clown.

Eddie

Whoa...big pic...my eyes!! Looks to me like the fish has ich, which they are prone to when stressed. Mind you I may be wrong ( su you guys), but that's my take on it...Very stressed fish. I would say they were ill when you got them and the transfer to a new tank just was too much for them. My 2 pennies.

were the fish you bought "group held" at the LFS? If so, the stres that one has, they may all have....i.e. Cyanide caught, handling, SG shock, Temp shock...you name it!

AlthoughtI don't believe your tank have ebola......you might want to wait a few weeks and see some new stock come into the LFS

The fish had arrived just the day before. The first fish I got that died on Monday had been at the lfs for about 2 weeks in a 80 gallon tank with about 5 other fish. The new bunch where in the tank with about 10 clowns.

Eddie

You have something going on in your tank...I see all the bubbles build up on your rock....some type of bacteria. Did anyone else notice that? It really shows alot where the fishes tail is at. This may be your invisable culprit. If you look closely there are slimmy bubbles through out the pic, even on the grape capelara. Anyone elses input?

I would just dose it with a tablet of Maracyn( saltwater or freshwater)....that should do the trick. Plus it is reef safe. It also kills cyano.

Yeah i saw it today. Its around 20 dollars for it. Do you think I need to worry about the hermit? Cause so far thats the only thing thats kept on living.

Eddie

The medication will not affect any thing in your tank. This is one of the easiest and safest medications to use. You can also use the freshwater Maracyn, it is so much cheaper and he same exact thing, plus you can get it at Wal-Mart ( Wally World...lol).

No need to break down the tank...just drop the tablet in a small amount of your saltwater, allow it to dissolve and dump it straight into the tank.

It looks "burned" to me, by the water...if the water chemistry is off...this happens.

Amonia and Nitrites can burn the fish, but your tests show these were undetectable...interesting

Your best bet, contrary to what has been offered is to do about a 75% water change, then toss in some Damsels to get the cycle going again. Once you can keep damsels alive in there...your good to go.

*I know clowns are a type of damsel...I mean like a 4 stripe or a yellow or somethin like that you know what I mean*:)

My first bet would be to let the tank age some more. If nothing goes wrong with your inverts for a long time, add a fish later on. If it's a vertibrate-specific disease, it may just die off without a fish in the tank.

Next, when I do add fish, I would buy them from a different store. Make sure they have NO ich or anything on them first.

I wouldn't rule out plain old stress. I had a FW fish in a small tank for almost a year, moved him to a bigger tank, and he got sick and died in a week. Before that he was healthy as can be.

Looks like a case of body fungus to me. The second pic ( Fish) Looks as if it were harassed to death by another fish. ( see the bite marks on the tail?) As for the bubles on the rocks? It realy dosent tell you anything. That could be just some air or nitrogen gas that is getting caught in some algae. BTW It dose matter which you buy. ( salt or fresh maracyn tabs I mean.) It does not matter however if you are using them strickly for killing cyano algae. One or the other is significantly stronger then the other thats why it matters. But as I said it dosent look to me as if it were an ICK infestation . More like some sort of body fungus. It does look alot like chlorine or amonia burns would look though.

Lets say you forgot to add dechlorinator to your make up water. Say the make up water consited of more then half the tank volume. Your fish would die of chlorine burns to the gills in les then an hour and as long as 1 day max. If your amonia was super high it would do this as well. ( That would definately show up on your test's though. not to mention you water would stink like hell and be kinda cloudy.) If you had some sort of soap or other unkown chemical on your hand this would have happend to.

If I were you , BEFORE you buy any more fish, I would SLOWLY change out 100 percent of the water( do not forget to add the volume of the sump when you change all the water out. if you dont take into account the volume of the sump you wont be doing anything but a water change.). Do this over the course of 2 weeks or so. I would change about 25% twice a week for two weeks then try again. If you change to much to soon youwill send your live rock and your inhabitants back into cycle stage in a new tank.

The water is RO water with uv. I did a 95 water change and added more sand. I know this might start the cycle over again, but i figured its easier to start from stratch and then go from there.

Eddie

Archived