Coral Vue Hydros

Is this tank done cycling?

swordfish

I set up my ten gallon tnak about 2.5 weeks ago with water, lights, powerhead and LR. I also threw in a chunk of frozen shrimp at that time just to get things started. The readings are now as follows:

ammonia: 0

nitrate: 7 (or thereabouts. It looks to be between 5 and 10)

Ph. 8.2

That certainly looks cycled to me, I just wanted to check with the gallery before I added a fish soon.

Thanks,

Jeff

have you been testing the water?

I mean right from the start have you been testing? did you see the nitrates, nitrites and ammonia go up then down again?

the tank is not cycled untill this happeneds..

You didn't mention any trites? What's up w/ those?

Like Toooloud said you need to do progressive testing to know whether things are on their way up or down.

Cameron

w/o more test results showing the gradual levels it's hard to say. I would wait at least another week and during that week test a few more times to see how and where things are going.

Cameron

Thanks for the advice. I guess I should have been testing all laong just ot get an idea what was going on, but I subscribe to the "set it up and don't touch it for a month" school of cycling. Just what shoudl I expect to see in the way of readings if the tank is not cycled yet?

Jeff

For my cycle, I tested everyday, saw a huge ammonia spike up to 7, then slowly the ammonia disappeared and I started to get some nitrates. I always tested 0 for nitrites. Is it possible for the ammonia to have been converted directly into nitrates? I noticed a reading of 0 Nitrates today. Very weird. Maybe it's time for a new test kit!?

Also now I am getting a bunch of algae: green hair, white hair, cyano, diatoms.

Archived