Top Shelf Aquatics

JBJ ATO Question...

davidr2340

I need an ATO... Is the JBJ very obtrusive looking? I mean, is it really noticeable? I have a Nanocube 24, with a Sunpod, and open top if that helps. :huh:

Sorry all for the NEWBNESS of my question!!! I just don't really want it to be very noticeable...

I need an ATO... Is the JBJ very obtrusive looking? I mean, is it really noticeable? I have a Nanocube 24, with a Sunpod, and open top if that helps. :huh:

Sorry all for the NEWBNESS of my question!!! I just don't really want it to be very noticeable...

If you put it in the back chamber IMO it would not look bad. It would sure beat having to manually top off every few days.

If you put it in the back chamber IMO it would not look bad. It would sure beat having to manually top off every few days.

That is where I plan on putting it... I'm assuming it's ok to put there? :huh:

That is where I plan on putting it... I'm assuming it's ok to put there? :huh:

yep, the chamber that you see loses water first is where you put the float.

yep, the chamber that you see loses water first is where you put the float.

Very helpful... Thanks bro!!!

My brand new JBJ ATO is already screwing up. I would look for a different brand, there is a thread in the For Sale section about a different kind that is cheaper.

My brand new JBJ ATO is already screwing up. I would look for a different brand, there is a thread in the For Sale section about a different kind that is cheaper.

Really... For the most part, all I hear is praise for the JBJ??? What is wrong with yours?

It's either going to be the JBJ or possibly the Tunze... I really don't trust myself with a DIY!

i love my JBJ ATO... what went wrong with it nanoty?

you have to put them in the chamber in the back with the pump so it knows when the water level drops to low (that should be the only compartment that changes water level)

I have had my JBJ for just a few days under year, never a problem and in a rear chamber you will never see the float sensor

i love my JBJ ATO... what went wrong with it nanoty?

you have to put them in the chamber in the back with the pump so it knows when the water level drops to low (that should be the only compartment that changes water level)

I have had my JBJ for just a few days under year, never a problem and in a rear chamber you will never see the float sensor

Thanks fellas!!!

Float switch stuck in the sump and didn't fill up the tank letting my pump run dry for hours. If my brother handn't come by to check the tank it would have burned up. The ATO is only a few weeks old.

I have heard horror stories of them sticking open or the unit just flat out malfunctioning and overflowing the tank. I didn't listen and now I'm paying.

Float switch stuck in the sump and didn't fill up the tank letting my pump run dry for hours. If my brother handn't come by to check the tank it would have burned up. The ATO is only a few weeks old.

I have heard horror stories of them sticking open or the unit just flat out malfunctioning and overflowing the tank. I didn't listen and now I'm paying.

Hmmm... Maybe I should go with a Tunze???

Any thoughts???

Dam nanoty your scaring me into the osmolator. You owe me some $$$!!!!

He scared me into it....well him among others. I really didn't want to shell out the cash for the Tunze, but I have enough stress as it is....I don't want to have to worry about my tank causing me even more stress. Also, I'm going out of town a lot this year and I really can't trust someone to keep an eye on the tank. I would like a worry-free honeymoon and I'm willing to spend the extra $195 for the Tunze to help make that possible.

I have heard a lot of happy JBJ owners on this site, but I see a lot more problem threads regarding the JBJ than the Tunze.

No issues here with my JBJ ATO! :) The pump thing is one of the reasons why I run my ATO in a timer. ;) People say that's crazy, but in your situation it would have been a lifesaver to the pump.

No issues here with my JBJ ATO! :) The pump thing is one of the reasons why I run my ATO in a timer. ;) People say that's crazy, but in your situation it would have been a lifesaver to the pump.

Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of an ATO?

just get the ATO "basic" from top-off.com and call it a day.

Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of an ATO?

just get the ATO "basic" from top-off.com and call it a day.

Nope, not at all. See the timer is a preventative measure should the flaots ever fail. The ATO turns on for 5 minutes, four times a day. That's not enough time for much evap to occur. The ATO still does it's job, probably better for the hardware to come on for sure 4 times a day, than be on/off every few minutes or so. I know a few reefers (a couple from on NR in fact) whom had ATO failures with float switches (one was using a non JBJ kit) and he said he wished he would have had a timer on it, at least it wouldn't have turned out so bad and he wouldn't have fried equipment while he wasn't home and 10 gallons of FW were pumped into his tank.

SeeDemTails

I understand phixion. The tank evaporates all day, then when the timer cuts on the pump catches up, then shuts off.

GrandStrandReefer

Hey all

I just recently got my jbj in the mail and am not totally sure how to set it up. I understand the wiring part of it, but would like to know what pump you guys use and how you actually run the tubing for it. I've got a RSM.

Do you use the supplied mounting devices for the floats? Do you keep the return line out of the water? (I assume that if you didn't it would cause a back syphon) For you RMS users, do you have the return coming through the chiller slot and into the chamber before the heater? What do you use to hold the supply water?

Thanks, Dan

PS It'd be great to see pics of how you have yours set up

Which of the chambers in the RSM is yours located?

Hey all

I just recently got my jbj in the mail and am not totally sure how to set it up. I understand the wiring part of it, but would like to know what pump you guys use and how you actually run the tubing for it. I've got a RSM.

Do you use the supplied mounting devices for the floats? Do you keep the return line out of the water? (I assume that if you didn't it would cause a back syphon) For you RMS users, do you have the return coming through the chiller slot and into the chamber before the heater? What do you use to hold the supply water?

Thanks, Dan

PS It'd be great to see pics of how you have yours set up

You can use almost any pump, smaller is better but make sure it has enough head pressure if you need to move water up. You can get an aqualifter if your worried about siphon but I just keep my fill hose about an inch above the water line using my gravel vac's clamp to hold it in place. I used the supplied float switch mounts and set it up in the mode (A or B can't remember) where one is in the sump and one in the ATO container to turn the whole thing off if it runs out of water so the pump won't run dry.

Archived