ReefCleaners.org

drilling a 5 gallon?!?!?!

kickyourbrainintheface

kickyourbrainintheface

i'm tasting the idea of drilling a 5 gallon to use a sump below, has anyone here done that?? can you give me some pointers. i've heard to drill with unibits...but how big of a hole should i drill and how many holes???

if you are going to drill it for a sump, i would go 2 1/4 inch holes.. one for a drain and one for the return..

as what to use to drill with? we ordered a diamond bit cost $45 Canadian for it..

What is the tank made of ? Acrylic or glass? If it Glass.. it will most likly Crack.. Really think glass! .. if its acrylic just pick up a 1/4 inch Hole saw.. from like homedepo

kickyourbrainintheface

it is acrylic....see, i have a really good drill... i guess i just need the right drill bit??? i feel dumb...i've never used or seen a hole saw....would a hole saw be better than drilling with a unibit??

If its Acrylic then sure any bit would work.. becouse its acrylic you do not have to worry about it cracking like glass would..

so do 2 holes.. 1/4 inch in size.. or whatever size you can find bulkheads in .. and use one for the drain on for the return.

kickyourbrainintheface

so, if i find 1/4 inch bulkheads, does that mean i'm to drill exactly 1/4 inch holes?? and what kind of sealant is best??

Your best to buy the bulkheads first.. they come with a rubber gaeget so you dont need to worry about sealing..

But get the bulkheads first.. becouse some times the threads are bigger than others, So buy them first and mesure it out.. you may have to dill a 1 inch hole to use a 3/4 inch diamiter bulkhead.

Archived