ReefCleaners.org

Koralia 1 Water Circulation Pumps

GrandStrandReefer

GrandStrandReefer

Are they supposed to be so gentle? I mean, I wasn't expecting it to blow the water out of the tank, but it barely feels like it moves it at all. I'm boxing it back up and sending it back to the Dr. F&S.

I guess I should've followed the crowd and went with the #2 from the get go for my RSM. Would a #3 be overkill for the Max?

the koralia's are great powerheads, i felt that to when i got my nano and 1. They give you a WIDE flow instead of just a burst of water like other ph's. IMO they are awesome powerheads.

GrandStrandReefer

Cool, I like the idea of them too, wasn't trying to flame the pumps, I guess it was just a shock to me how gentle they are. I've been out of the hobby for a while, just getting started again with my RSM after being out of it for so long, that's why I guess I was so surprised. I'm thinking back to the old style powerheads and I guess that's why I went with the 1 over the 2 to start with, bucause I was thinking "600 gph will be way overkill" not knowing exactly how they were intended to work.

If you want a pump that gives a slightly less dispersed flow, check out the Seio Prop 530. It gives a more concentrated flow than the K1 while still creating a wider stream than old-style powerheads. It's a little more powerful than a K1, as well.

My tank has a Seio 530 and a K1, and I like the Seio better.

the K1 is weak period. wide dispersion yes but still too weak for most tanks. probably work well in a six gallon.

Not for me..I just had to downgrade to a nano in my 12G because no matter where I put it I had a sand storm.

tunze nano stream ftw

i have 2 korailia 1s in my 29g... they are great pumps but they dont move water like im used to... i dont know how people get sand storms in their tanks with the k1... i have a k nano in a 2.8g tank + an AC20... thats like more then 100x turn over.. and i still dont have sand everywhere... where do you guys point them to get them to make sand storms?

my tunze 6025 (modded) puts them both to shame... i cant wait to go up in tank sizes and put them all to use together

i have 2 k2s and 2 k1s in my 40.....love em. i have figi fine (like sugar) in my 40 and i had a k3 caused a sand storm so traded it for 2 k2s....i'de put 2 k1s, one at the bottom back wall left and one on the right side.

DESERTHEATRACING

I have two k1's in an 18 high. Perfect flow. With the supplied nozzle, you can direct flow a lot better if wanted. And for the person that said use a k1 in a 6g *LOL* you have never used a k1 haha. I easily made sandstorms in my 18H, took a few days to get placement perfect even with them located at the top of the tank. In a 6G, the k1 would take up a 3rd of the tank and basically turn it into a blender hahaha.

Personally I rate them like this in the small tank world.....

0-5G = Nano

5-10G = pair of nanos or a single K1 @10G....

10-20G = pair of k1's, possibly k2's if it is an SPS tank

20G-30G = Pair of k2's or k3's depending in LPS or SPS

Above that is really depends on take geometry, is it wide, tall, deep and what do you plan to keep in it.

For my Oceanic Tech 90, the pair of K4's are perfect for my LPS setup.

fierceseaman
I have two k1's in an 18 high. Perfect flow. With the supplied nozzle, you can direct flow a lot better if wanted. And for the person that said use a k1 in a 6g *LOL* you have never used a k1 haha. I easily made sandstorms in my 18H, took a few days to get placement perfect even with them located at the top of the tank. In a 6G, the k1 would take up a 3rd of the tank and basically turn it into a blender hahaha.

Personally I rate them like this in the small tank world.....

0-5G = Nano

5-10G = pair of nanos or a single K1 @10G....

10-20G = pair of k1's, possibly k2's if it is an SPS tank

20G-30G = Pair of k2's or k3's depending in LPS or SPS

Above that is really depends on take geometry, is it wide, tall, deep and what do you plan to keep in it.

For my Oceanic Tech 90, the pair of K4's are perfect for my LPS setup.

That is interesting. I'm going through a similar problem in that I had one K1 in my RSM and after doubling the amount of live rock when I set the system back up, feel like its not enough flow. I was considering going with 1 K3 or adding a K2 to the existing K1. K3 seems like alot 850 GPHx2 in a 29 gal DT. Do you really think that is necessary in a mixed LPS and SPS tank?

i would say a k3 would be better for 40-50 or similar tanks 30-36in

im my 90g Oceanic im setting up in going for 2 K4s and 1 K3, perfect flow (for me)for a mixed reef

DESERTHEATRACING
That is interesting. I'm going through a similar problem in that I had one K1 in my RSM and after doubling the amount of live rock when I set the system back up, feel like its not enough flow. I was considering going with 1 K3 or adding a K2 to the existing K1. K3 seems like alot 850 GPHx2 in a 29 gal DT. Do you really think that is necessary in a mixed LPS and SPS tank?

Well when going from a k2 to a k3, it is a much larger jump than say going from a k1 to a k2. K3's have some punch in smaller tanks... May want to consider a pair of k2's...

From memory a k3 is just a large prop version of a k2.

You can also always do the mod to a k4 with an algea free prop kit and blow a nuclear winter 3000+ gph per pump hahaha. Talk about a sandstorm :)

fierceseaman
Well when going from a k2 to a k3, it is a much larger jump than say going from a k1 to a k2. K3's have some punch in smaller tanks... May want to consider a pair of k2's...

From memory a k3 is just a large prop version of a k2.

You can also always do the mod to a k4 with an algea free prop kit and blow a nuclear winter 3000+ gph per pump hahaha. Talk about a sandstorm :)

Yeah that is a jump up. K1 is 400, K2 600, K3 850. I think what I'm going to do is add a K2 and keep the K1 and then if I feel like I need even more flow, I'll replace the K1 with another K2. A lot of the guys that have really nice RSMs with SPS and LPS have only one K2. I think I'll follow the trend and go that way. K3s do seem like a big jump.

Archived