Pod Your Reef

Brown stuff on tank side

reefsrule

MrConclusion

Brown stuff it diatom "algae."

Crabs and snails will not eat it - only the abalone, and that's a big-growing critter to add to a nano.

Your best bet is to switch to distilled or RO/DI water, because diatoms need silicates to grow. (There is always a trace of silicates present because all salt mixes contain it, because some corals need it, too) However, many municipal water supplies contain high levels of silicates due to the purification processes used.

What kind of lighting system are you using? Diatoms are often problematic in low-light situations. If your lighting is OK, Coralline algae growth will eventually increase. You'll tend to see a reduction of diatom growth at that time. It's usually a "young tank" or "bad water" issue if the lighting is OK.

Thanx for responding

The lighting I have is a 9 watt blue compact flourescent and a 13 watt white cp fl, but I have kept only the 9 watt blue on without the 13 (during cycling) so far in my 5 gallon tank. Should I turn on the 13 watt bulb?

I'm kind of new at this. What is distilled water or RO/DI?

reefsrule...they are called anemones...an aneome is something I am not very familiar with...

if your so adimate people dont keep em, you should get the spelling down bro...;)

Archived