Coral Vue Hydros

Frustration with water, plz clarify...

Infiniti

when i first started not long ago, i bought some RO water from a lfs. whatever i had left, was going to be used for top offs and water changes. i did regular daily top offs and 2 water changes so far. everything seems to do well in my tank. water parameters are excellent. i'm down to about 1-2 gallons left and planned on changing water soon. so i mixed the salt and aerate it for a day. i check it the next day and found traces of ammonia and nitrite. so i dumped it away.

did the leftover water go bad?

i just bought new water from a different store, that uses "Kold Ster-il". the owner says it's better than RO. anyways, i prepare the water again and checked on the water parameters. i found traces of ammonia, nitrite and the nitrate is between 10-20ppm. that's higher than my tank's (between 5-10).

so now what??? am i doing something wrong??? any advice is greatly appreciated!

Did you test the water before you mixed it? You wanna do that first to find the source....it could be the water but could be the salt.

What test kits are you using BTW...

When you mean traces how trace are you talking? I know some ammonia kits can be tricked by water conditioners and even then some minor minor minor levels can be read.

Cameron

thanks for response. i didn't check it before i added salt. i am using "Saltwater Master Test Kit" by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. the nitrite was 0, nitrate between 10-20ppm, and ammonia was .50ppm.

Infiniti

oh, by the way...if i check the water before putting salt in, i would have to use a freshwater kit right? i have the same brand for freshwater.

AP tests are very funky IMO prone to odd and inaccurate readings. I'd have a LFS verify or contradict your results as they usually will test water too.

Cameron

Archived