Pod Your Reef

clear flatworm?

Goonter

I was looking at the tank last night with a flashlight and discovered this weird clearish-white worm thing that waves when it swims... for those of you who don't get what i am saying, kind of like this ~ and it was about half an inch and hated the light, it swam crazy like and then ended up going towards a sponge and then when i check back later it was gone. I apologize for not taking a picture, i didn't have time, but i thought i would ask to see what it was out of curiosity. I am thinking it might be an acropora flatworm, but i have no clue as it wasn't even near my sps.

ooooooo nice site, looking at it i think it probably was more of the "Acoel Flatworm"

worm hitch hikers2nd from the bottom on the left side. However, i don't recall it having a tooth shape, other than that it looks exactly like it. wierd thing is, that is the first time i saw one, and it is the only one i have seen.

edit: how can i tell if they are invading the corals if they are clear?

lakshwadeep

There are many types of flatworms, and your thread title immediately sounded like acoel flatworms.

The clear ones are harmless.

Are you sure it's even a flatworm? Many polychaetes, etc.. have a stage where they're a free-swimming smaller squiggly worm.

lakshwadeep
Are you sure it's even a flatworm? Many polychaetes, etc.. have a stage where they're a free-swimming smaller squiggly worm.

Yes, I didn't even realize that the thing was swimming in the water. That sounds like an epitoke et al. that have pictures on the worm hitchhikers at chucksaddiction.com.

• 2 weeks later...

alright, i am 100% sure now that i have the clear Acoel Flatworms, they are on my glass and look exactly like that picture on http://www.chucksaddiction.com/. I think i got them from some guy giving me free chaeto. I can't find what they do or what i should do to get them out. any help or advice please?

Archived