inTank Media Baskets

Newbie needs advice

fishy610

Ok, I read up as much as I can about nano reefs.

My initial setup would be:

- 29g wide glass tank

- protein skimmer

- 150w heater

- 2 powerheads

- at least 60w lighting, perferably 100w

- filter (do i need one? how about a power filter? suggestions?)

- 36# Live Rock

- 12# Live Sand, mixed 30% with play sand

- Coral Starter Kit

- 2 clownfish

- some shrimp and hermit crabs

- later: 2 damsels, 2 wrasses

Any suggestions?

more light, 2x65w PC should last you until you get the MH itch. otherwise you'll be buying 3x (initial, 2x65w, then the MH).

coral starter kit? ???

what's your timeline for setup? i disagree with espi on introducing corals first and then fish. i like going fish first then corals (i.e. heavy waste producers then low waste producers/consumers). imo it's less shock to the bio-filter/system.

6 active fish may be a little too much depending on the type of wrasses. one six-line should be fine tho. i'm assuming you mean ocell or perc clowns too.

newbiefishgirl

I think you have a good plan of attack. I agree with tinyreef about introducing the fish first, then corals. This gives you time to decided and price your lighting you will need to keep the corals. I went with a cheeper 50/50 bulb to start 15k because I started out adding my fish. Now I have had about 2 1/2 months to decided on my lighting.

Also I would only keep 3 to 4 fish in a 29.. tops. You don't want to stress them!

Hope this helps.

:)

Here is the timeline:

- Fill tank with Live Rock and Live Sand Mix with conditioned, salinated water, add heater and powerheads(?) and let stand for 2 weeks

- After 2-3 weeks add one or two cocktail shrimp to start cycling, after a few days start up skimmer, use filter as needed

- When cycling is complete, add a few crabs or shrimp

- Add fishy

- Add corals

The "Corel Starter Kit" is the one I have found at drsfostersmith.com - it contains I believe 4 different startup corals for $99.

- After 2-3 weeks add one or two cocktail shrimp to start cycling,
if you get good LR you probably won't need the shrimp method (i dislike that method for some reason, just per pref).

just get the freshest LR you can, imo that's the key to a good system, and it makes things easier down the road. you won't even need the LS imo, as it'll seed from the good LR.

well... i haven't been able to find any LR at the LFSs around here and thought that I could order them online as a last resort. I have found some online retailers which are reported to deliver the LR overnight and in very good condition.

Archived