SaltCritters.com

How do I know if the Flame Scallop is hungry?

MichelleChang

MichelleChang

Hi all, I recently added a flaming scallop to my 10g. In my tank, I have tons of pods, my friend told me this is probably due to the constant dosing of marine snow...so now I am cutting back on the feeding. But then I am not sure whether there is enough food for the scallop.

I have tried putting a small piece of shrimp when it opens; but it closes every time my hand get close to it. That's why I depend on the marine snow to feed him.

Is there any signal to whether they need to be feed? Thank you!

M

MichelleChang

oh....I have a tube coral, mushrooms (10), yellow polyp (15), zoos (15), cleaner shrimp (1), blue legs (4), snail (4), and the flame scallop in my 10g.

10 lbs of LR and 10 lb of LS.

Thanks.

M :happy:

flame scallops generally don't live in captivity.

Not sure what you can do, other than try squirting some foods in the general direction of the scallop, or remove it, place it in a container with tank water and add the food to the container. Replace the scallop after it has eaten. (this works for baby clams)

If you can return the scallop to the lfs, do so now and save yourself the trouble.

LITTLEFISHEE

I agree with Crakeur, they don't fare well in captivity at all. I had one in my first tank and it died within 3 weeks. From what I've heard 3 weeks is a very long time for flame scallops. Not very much is known about why they die so quickly, but I have read that they are extremely sensitive filter feeders, and they don't tolerate nitrite or nitrate in their water. Containment feeding is a good suggestion. Anyway, I hope this helps you keep it, because they are gorgeous creatures.

they're planktivores and like most planktivores they generally fare poorly.

i would look to maintaining your feeding regimen as the scallop most likely needs more than periodic feedings. (i.e. there ain't a set lunchtime in the ocean) if the method ain't broke, don't fix it.

if the nutrient level gets too high or 'soupy' you'll have to just do more maintenance (i.e. wc's, skimming, or carbon). otherwise the suggestions to return it is the other alternative.

the growth in pod population shouldn't be too bad as they don't irritate the scallop (normally). their fecal pellets, bio-matter derivatives (don't ask :x ), and larvae can also contribute to the plankton availability or at least the system's overall eco-pyramid. supercalifragilisticexpialidocious too. :P

Archived