inTank Media Baskets

SUPERCHARGED SS65 CORALIFE SKIMMER! UPDATE + VIDEO

DESERTHEATRACING

DESERTHEATRACING

Well guys I finally have it down and setup in a way that others can duplicate my GREAT success with the ss65 skimmer used with an tetra whisper 20 air pump forcing air into the system. The skimmer is simply amazing now! I also have been able to set it up so that it does not overflow if airflow is cutoff even with the waterpumps restrictor 100% open. This is for ss65 skimmers setup in a sump only in a chamber were water level does not change much or at all. I do not recommend this mod for HOB setups.

This mod will make your ss65 go from one of the best super budget skimmers to a skimmer that really performs well! Should be this way from the factory!

- Buy a Tetra whisper 20 air pump + Extra line. I have found them as low as $7 online!

- Open the red water restrictor knob all the way on the ss65 so that the water level goes to the lowest point inside the reaction chamber

- Open the grey valve on the water pump outlet 100% so it is flowing 100% without restriction.

- Now unplug and clean your ss65 skimmer. Make sure the air inlet on the skimmer and air release port on the output side are clear of salt.

- Hook up the Whisper 20's airline and inline adjustment knob directly to the air input on the water pump. Eliminate the silencer box. Do not plug the air pump in yet.

- Plug the water pump back in. The water should rise a bit inside the chamber but will not come close to overflowing. Close the red water restrictor knob on the output line to raise up the water level inside the chamber so it is about 3/8 of the way up inside the curved neck in the collection cup. " the video below will show the level I chose"

- Make sure the airline bleed screw is closed tight and plug the air pump in. Slowly open the bleed screw and let air into the ss65. The water level will lower in the reaction chamber, this is normal. You will see air rise in the chamber. Keep adding air SLOW via the bleed screw. Eventually you will be adding so much air that it will overpower the pump and the pump will cavitate and water level will drop drastically. That means you are almost done!!!!! Now turn your bleed screw back about 1/4 of a turn when the pump starts to cavitate and cannot pump anymore water. You will need to pinch the airline to get the pump rocking again.

- At this point you should have a ton of micro bubbles in the reaction chamber. Use the red knob to adjust the height of the bubble column to your desired point. Will be some trial and error as you will have so many micro bubbles that you may skim super wet now but that can be adjusted with ease :)

- Now you can run a test to make sure the setup will not overflow if the airline feed is clogged. Simply cut off all air supply by pinching the airline TIGHT. Observe the water level rising inside the neck. If it is setup right, it should not overflow.

Now enjoy your skimmer as this $10 mod works WONDERS on this little budget skimmer!

One thing to note, the forced air into the pump housing causes the air inlet to clog faster with salt creep than it normally would. Every 2 weeks you need to remove the air inlet from the pump and clean out the salt creep. Small price to pay for a super cheap skimmer that REALLY skims amazingly well with this simple cheap mod!

The video below is LARGE file size wise so just download it. Will show how much air I am getting into the reaction chamber of my little ss65 with the cup cleaned. In the video I have the airline pinched so you can see it will not overflow with no air entering the reaction chamber, I then release the airline, and you ss65 owners will see what happens next compared to stock! I have never pulled so much from my tank in such a little amount of time as I do now. Simply AMAZING and no other supporting mods are needed!

http://www.garage1217.com/REEFPICS/SKIMMER...EDINDUCTION.MOV

avaneaton2000

Your posts have been super informative! I found a ss65 locally that I am getting tomorrow, how long should I let it break in before I add the air pump? I figured that porting the venturi can be done before the initial install. I can't wait to get this set up and modded.

avaneaton2000

I think he just means to drill out the opening of the venturi, I have been trying to learn as much as I can about this skimmer before I get it.

DESERTHEATRACING

Yes porting it can be done ahead of time which just means drilling it out to the largest diameter possible without sacrificing the integrity of the plastic were the airline feed connects..

If memory serves, my ss65 was well broken in, in about a week or so.

avaneaton2000

ok, did you port anywhere else? I am picking it up tonight, can't wait to start messing with it. I think I am going to have to redo my sup baffles which is a pain in the ass though.

DESERTHEATRACING
ok, did you port anywhere else? I am picking it up tonight, can't wait to start messing with it. I think I am going to have to redo my sup baffles which is a pain in the ass though.

I also cut open and ported the air silencer / cut the long tube inside down by 1/2 which made it flow more and made it actually much more quiet. But if your going F/i with it, no need to port the silencer as it will be eliminated with the airpump. Other than that, mine is totally stock.

Make sure the chamber you place it in does not vary much at all water level wise.

avaneaton2000

it will be in my sump in the 1st chamber where the drain goes into before, 2nd chamber is a fuge, 2 baffles and the return pump in the third chamber. I have a spare surface skimmer attachment for a canister filter, I might attach that to it to pull surface scum that has gone down my overflow in the main tank. I heard that pulling from the surface and water is the best way to make it super efficient, any opinion on that?

Thanks!

any chance of posting pics of what you did... seem simple enough... you just hooked up an air pump to where the normal air supply is to force more air in it... am i correct?

avaneaton2000

and drilled out the venturi to open it up, I am going to drill mine tonight if I can my camera battery is dead, I will see if I can take come camera phone pics. desert's is already back in his tank.

DESERTHEATRACING
any chance of posting pics of what you did... seem simple enough... you just hooked up an air pump to where the normal air supply is to force more air in it... am i correct?

Correct, Lots of tuning to make it work right but if the steps are followed above, it cuts out all the trial and error I went through.

With the pump mod, drilling the input port may not be required at all, just turn the air up a tad more and force it in haha :)

I also just ordered the big skimmer for my 90G build, it is an MSX200 in which I am going to attemp the same forced induction mod and make the guys pulling 40-50 scfh of air jelous haha. Will see how it goes.

avaneaton2000

I guess I can give it a shot after a week or two without drilling it, add the air pump once it is broken in and see how it goes. It might be too much pressure and not enough flow, won't know until I try it.

DESERTHEATRACING
I guess I can give it a shot after a week or two without drilling it, add the air pump once it is broken in and see how it goes. It might be too much pressure and not enough flow, won't know until I try it.

I think you will be fine :) Just go by the instructions above.

ohhh that msx200 looks nice... looks like you could mod that bad boy easily into a recirc skimmer :ninja:

EDIT: although i dont know why you would want to mod that skimmer... i just started reading about them... they look beautiful and look really really well designed

DESERTHEATRACING
ohhh that msx200 looks nice... looks like you could mod that bad boy easily into a recirc skimmer :ninja:

EDIT: although i dont know why you would want to mod that skimmer... i just started reading about them... they look beautiful and look really really well designed

yeah they have a heck of a following over on ban-central. Tons of good info and they are an amazing skimmer for the cash. Snagged my MSX200 for $309 shipped with a free shipping coupon code. Comes with a CnC'ed pinwheel or a meshwheel already modified.

the more i read about them the more im really thinking about getting one of these for my next up grade... sorry to throw this thread so far off topic but what made you choose the 200 over the 160?

DESERTHEATRACING
the more i read about them the more im really thinking about getting one of these for my next up grade... sorry to throw this thread so far off topic but what made you choose the 200 over the 160?

Oh no worries, I chose the 200 because it was only $40 more and it supported a MUCH larger tank. Overkill is fine with me. Also the footprint would still fit my 20L sump. If I had a smaller tank than a 90G + 20L sump + 20L fuge then I would have gone with the 160.

Trust me, it was a mental debate for about 4 days before I ordered.

• 2 months later...
avaneaton2000

New Update:

I did this mod to my SS65 and I even went one further and wrapped the needle wheel with fishing line doing three wraps per bar, now it REALLY whips up a froth. There are so many bubbles that you can not see through the skimmer body to the other side, I am talking completely white.

I think that everyone should use an air pump to inject more air into their skimmers and mod their pumps I can't believe how well it works now, we are talking super dark green skimate.

New Update:

I did this mod to my SS65 and I even went one further and wrapped the needle wheel with fishing line doing three wraps per bar, now it REALLY whips up a froth. There are so many bubbles that you can not see through the skimmer body to the other side, I am talking completely white.

I think that everyone should use an air pump to inject more air into their skimmers and mod their pumps I can't believe how well it works now, we are talking super dark green skimate.

Archived