Coral Vue Hydros

Okay to add macro during cycling?

swordfish

I have recently added a small clump of macro algea to my 7 bow as part of my green-hair algae control program, but I want to know if my now-cycling ten gallon tank wold benefit from some or if would even manage to live in there right now. I've been cycling it for 2.5 weeks as of today and it has lights on it. No hair algae is in the cycling tank...yet. (knock on wood).

Thanks,

Jeff

What are your parameters? What type of water was used? I waited until my cycle was done then I put in my macro and cleaning crew.

the macro should be fine but it would mess up the point of the cycling, which is to condition the system (substrate, rock, tank, etc.) to be able to process the primary nitrogenous wastes of a typical system. i.e. the macro would process the wastes before the bacteria could.

eventually, the system would probably stabilize anyway as populations (of whatever) reach equilibrium with food sources and waste disposal.

i'm very verbose today for some odd reason :blush: whateva, the words fit at least. :P

Archived