SaltCritters.com

15 Gallon System In 3 Tanks

Cowboys822

Hi, My name is Chris and I am new to reefing. I did some research and i came up with an idea. It seems ok to me but it may sound weird to you guys please bear with me. My idea is to have 3x 5 1/2 gallon Tanks.

Tank 1 Would Be the main tank which is only the tank, rock, sand, livestock, lighting, and a powerhead.

Tank 2 would be below that which is the sump containing 1 aqua clear 200 filter for carbon insert when needed and maybe a sponge block, and a heater.

Tank 3 Would be below the sump and it would be a refugium containing live sand, live rock, caulerpa, a powerhead, and a mini pengium biowheel mini with no inserts, and also a lighting system of some sort.

I am not familiar with the plumbing or anything but i would like to know what you think about my idea and please tell me your honest opinion.

I think youd be doing a little much for a 5 gal tank...why not set up a 10 gal and then just have one refegium. You'd enjoy the extra space the 10 offers and the benefits of the refegium you want too.

just a thought

I really dont want any equipment in the main tank and the lighting canopy i have now with 2x28 watt power compacts is built for a 5 1/2 gallon tank it is really nice and i want to keep it.

my main question is how would i go about setting this up. If someone would please draw me a simple diagram i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for all your help.

One way would be to have the Refugium a little above the show tank. Have the PH in your main tank pump water into the Fuge and gravity feed back to the main tank.

Have an surface skimming overflow for both the main tank and the fuge which drain into the sump below both tanks. Feed the water from the sum back into the main tank only. The reason for the overflow on the fuge is to prevent a flood un case your drain to the main tank gets clogged. This will require some drilling but you probably already knew that when designing with three tanks.

Thats one way of many...sorry no diagram for you.

Archived