Pod Your Reef

Closed Loop HELP

cbort

ok...got my closed loop set up and plumbed. PVC Cemented everything, but when i turn the pump on just little bit of water dribbles out??

The hole is in the back right corner of my tank. My pump is attached to that hole with a right angle piece of PVC, and sits perfectly even with the hole. MY returns shoot straight up into a tee and are returned back into the tank on either side of the tank? I tested the pump before i hooked this thing up, and worked Very very well. The pump is humming and everything but no pressure its an iwaki 1200gph pump.

Do i need to have the pump lower than the hole?

i think a pic of the set up is in order... if its a 1200gph pump you shouldnt have any trickle... it should be like a jet

It probably needs to be primed. Either give an hour, or add some water into the plumbing to get it going. I'm sure when you turn it on, the pump is cranking away quite loudly...

i will get a pic ASAP. The pumps even have a hole in the side where you can see the motor turning. and its normal.

My stand has a 5-6 inch lip of the back side, built especially for my CL pump. So my pump literally sits on my stand. My bulkhead is perfectly placed so that i just had to run an elbow right angle straight to the inlet of the pump. Then i took PVC straight up into a T . Very simple

how do you prime it? not sure that i had to prime it when i tested it, but maybe i did it accidentally?

i think last time i just plugged and un plugged it a few times. but i was using an over the edge hang on drain that time.

Pic from Melev's Closed Loop.

closedloop.jpg

The extra bit of pipe height on the intake has a screw cap on it. In this setup, you can unscrew the cap and pour water in to fill the tube. This gives the pump some water to start with so it can start sucking water in the intake.

I don't know how you prime your setup because I haven't seen pics.

yes and the pump sits even with the hole. So i put a cap on the bulkhead. plumbed it all and then unscrewed the cap and instantly water went into the pump, so wouldnt that mean its primed?

There are no places in the plumbing that could be causing restriction?

Have you pulled the pump off and tested it without the plmbing?

k here are some quick snaps. sorry bout the bad pics but its tight behind there

pics185.jpg

pics186.jpg

pics187.jpg

pics188.jpg

and in this pic you can see where the stand pipe used to be and now is my CL drain

pics158.jpg

so that thing in your last pic is a sort of stand pipe for the pump? did you try to remove it and try it that way?

ot: that pump looks just like my genx pump, strange, mine works just fine...LOL

no that stand pipe used to be the drain for the sump. I have since taken that thing off and now it looks like the third picture. I now have an overflow box for the drain in the sump.

something was blocking the inlet of the pump. had to take the pump apart. Removed plugged in and walla worked fine! Thanks

ya it sounds simple, but it wasn't !! haha i had everything already pvc cemented and ready to go, so it was a bit of a pain. But ya.....could have been a lot worse!

Archived