SaltCritters.com

Lower my Nitrates???

Nanu Nanu

My 18 gal. tank has been up for a month and a half now. I have 15 pounds of live rock a sand bed over crush coral 1 anemone, 1 mushroom,1 polyp. My filtration is just a power head and a Modified Skilter250 with poly filter. I just did a test on everything and ended up with high Nitrate's, everything else was perfect. So whats the trick to lower my Nitrate's??? Thanks???

Thanks for the 411;) I would also want to know what are the main tests that I should use. I know there are a lot but which ones should I use often. I just did Nitrate,Nitrite,Amonia,and Ph. is this good enough???Thanks:)

The only other test I use besides the one's you mentioned is calcium and alkalinity. But I am sure other nanoreefers use a few others too! But those are the basics and you should far well with just those.

MrConclusion

Keep in mind that if your nitrates are high, a 20% water change isn't going to magically eliminate the problem. You will need to perform three 20 percent water changes in order to reduce your nitrates by almost half.

You could also introduce macroalgae, which uses nitrates as fertilizer. As the macro grows, you continually remove some of it and throw it away to "export" the nitrates from your tank.

Have you changed out your poly filter? Could be the source of the nitrates. I'll throw a sponge in my hob just for a quick water polish & remove within a day, but I don't think it's something you should leave in for an extended period.

wc's never hurt (almost never). :

did you add the LS onto the CC later on or at the (relatively) same time? could be trapped detritus decaying. btw, how high is high?

i'd change the poly-filter when it changes color (brownish for organics) or monthly at least. you could change it quicker (slight color change) to be more aggressive too.

Archived