Innovative Marine Aquariums

Can't decide between 20L and 20H for new tank... advice wanted

jayk

I'm planning to set up a new tank. I'm pretty space-constrained so I'm planning a 20 gallon with a small (5-7) gal fuge nearby. I'm having some trouble deciding between a 20L (20x12.5x12.75H) and a 20H (24x12.5x16.75H). I like the idea of having more bottom area in the long, but I feel like that limits me to a fairly shallow sand bed (which maybe isn't such a bad idea given the threads I've been reading here and over on reefcentral). I plan to build a custom hood using 1x70W MH and 2x36 or 55W CFs. I can fit the tubes (even the 55W) over either length tank. I plan to build the hood so the lights are 5-6" above the water. I'd like to try to keep some hard corals and maybe a clam or two.

Thoughts?

- Jay

same as everyone else.....20 long and just not for the light reason, but also think how much easier it will be to feed or to do something to your tank.

eddie

Hmmm, I'm a bit surprised that the 20H owners haven't jumped in on this one. I prefer the 20 long also only because of the large amount of surface space it provides, and I also feel like it simply *looks* like a bigger tank than it actually is.

With that said, it's truly a matter of preference as I have seen some beautiful 20H tanks too.

*shrug*

I just bought a 20h last night to upgrade from a 10g. I think either 20H or 20L would make a great tank. Both have pros and cons. For me the 20L is just to shallow because I like to stack my LR up high, but you would get better light penetration with the 20L. It's really just a matter of taste, but either would be fine.

fuentes925

??? I am having a custom tank made and I am going to have it 21.25" long 10.75" wide and 20" high is this a bad Idea??? This equals 20g of water. If you see my other post "help me build a sump you can see the design of how I am going to set it up. It will have a 10 gallon sump that is fed by gravity and then water pumped back up by a magdrive 5. No light on the sump just for the heater and the iceprobe units.

Will my CL 96w light be enough??

Go to members nanos forum and check out some pics of 20L and 20H, see which you like better. Remember lights may cost you more on a deeper tank. Take in to consideration you list of "must haves" and figure out the best aquarium for them as well.

I'd say 20L and if you have problems with dsb placement, just put in like 30lbs (I have 20lbs in my 10) and then put a gradual slope, shallow in front for viewing, and deep in the back, my tank goes from, 1 1/2" in the front to 4" in the back, that works out fine, put the LR close to the back and It will cover up the 'sand pile' and it would only be viewed by the side (not a bad view actually) it gets the most sand in the tank avaliable, and makes there more viewing room from the front to the rocks.

Archived