Cultivated Reef

Coral Question?Can YOU help?

Clownfish1030

Clownfish1030

Hi guys.  I'm new here and i hope you can help me out.

I have a ten gallon reef with an eclipse hood i bought at this saltwater store i have worked at for about a year and a half.  Anyway, i have a 32 watt pc bulb on it and add iodine and c-balance on a regulat basis.  I also add DT's live marine phytoplankton to the tank as well.

My question is i have a bunch of stuff(mushrooms, polyps, galaxia, anemones) and my zenia i introduced only pulses in the morning when i have some sunlight from a nearby window on it.  When the light goes on and the shade goes down, they stop within minutes.  Everything else is doing great, no complaints.  They are still doing well, look full and growing baby stalks but they look neater when pulsing.  Just wondering if any of you could help.  No one at my store can.  Thanks for your input.

I would increase your lighting or move the Xenia closer to the light. They thrive in varying intensities, but do best under high intensity light. I keep mine under a 250w MH and they love it there. I also wonder about your iodine additions. I don't think that anyone has actually proven that Xenia utilize iodine significantly. It's just a hypothesis that has been passed along by many. You could be overdosing and raising iodine levels to a toxic level. I am a firm believer in only dosing what you can test for.

The lighting really sounds like the main issue, though. I have heard many people say that they do best under high intensity light, and that has been my experience as well.

-Chris

Archived