SaltCritters.com

JBJ Chiller died =(

S197

Well, exactly 1 day after I said "I'm finally done... for a while" I check my thermometer and it says 73.8 degrees. :angry:

I looked at my chiller, and the dial was set to 78 degrees but the unit was still chilling the tank. I figured it must have had some kinda glitch so I unplugged it waited 10 min and plugged it back in. It seems theres a problem with the thermostat. The unit waits to turn on at the right temp, but even after hitting its set temperature it doesn't stop, it just runs forever until its unplugged. I took the chiller apart, checked for loose connections on the circuit board and even unplugged and replugged everything but no go.

On a positive note, Since I purchased the chiller from Drs Foster and Smith I gave them a call and they couldnt send me a new one because JBJ stopped manufactoring the mini chillers. Hats off to there excellent service, there sending me a Current USA Prime chiller which was a dollar cheaper then my unit, and there taking care of the return shipping, and the shipping of the new chiller. Im glad ive purchased everything but the tunze skimmer from them (since they dont have it) because thats excellent service.

Anyone have any experience with the 1/15 hp Current usa Chiller. Im hoping it lasts longer then 2 months?

I have a 1/10hp Current chiller, runs like a champ at 58 degrees for almost a year total.

Sucks about the JBJ chiller, but kudos to the Drs for hooking you up!

STOP!

Before you return it, check the FLOW RATE of your setup, the JBJ if it is not enough throw rate or some clog to your tube it won't stop cooling.. try to run your setup in a bucket of water.

I have Current 1/15 and it is NOSIY AS HELL compare to JBJ Nano....

My JBJ 1/10 stop working yesterday and I called JBJ who is about 10 minutes away and said I got it from some one else about 6 months ago and he had it for a year they told me they will fix it since it was still under the 2 year warrenty even thought it is second hand....

My JBJ 1/10 stop working yesterday and I called JBJ who is about 10 minutes away and said I got it from some one else about 6 months ago and he had it for a year they told me they will fix it since it was still under the 2 year warrenty even thought it is second hand....

That's good to know, because I never registered mine nore can I find the recept for it from when I bought it from Mike @ PR during MNS-1.... :slap:

STOP!

Before you return it, check the FLOW RATE of your setup, the JBJ if it is not enough throw rate or some clog to your tube it won't stop cooling.. try to run your setup in a bucket of water.

I have Current 1/15 and it is NOSIY AS HELL compare to JBJ Nano....

Flow Rate is fine, and I did flush it out prior to calling anyone. Just yesterday I got the thing to register at 79.5 degrees, but then it cools all the way down to 76.5 untill the alarm light kicks on, then it turns off. Its still not good but atleast it will hold my tank over till the new chiller arrives a 3 degree swing is much better then having the tank run 84 degrees in the middle of summer.

I loved the chiller dont get me wrong, but ill take a little noisy as long as I get reliability. It works for my mustang, and it will work for my chiller

Well, exactly 1 day after I said "I'm finally done... for a while" I check my thermometer and it says 73.8 degrees. :angry:

I looked at my chiller, and the dial was set to 78 degrees but the unit was still chilling the tank. I figured it must have had some kinda glitch so I unplugged it waited 10 min and plugged it back in. It seems theres a problem with the thermostat. The unit waits to turn on at the right temp, but even after hitting its set temperature it doesn't stop, it just runs forever until its unplugged. I took the chiller apart, checked for loose connections on the circuit board and even unplugged and replugged everything but no go.

On a positive note, Since I purchased the chiller from Drs Foster and Smith I gave them a call and they couldnt send me a new one because JBJ stopped manufactoring the mini chillers. Hats off to there excellent service, there sending me a Current USA Prime chiller which was a dollar cheaper then my unit, and there taking care of the return shipping, and the shipping of the new chiller. Im glad ive purchased everything but the tunze skimmer from them (since they dont have it) because thats excellent service.

Anyone have any experience with the 1/15 hp Current usa Chiller. Im hoping it lasts longer then 2 months?

what size nano do you have? 28G HDI?

yes 28G HQI

Btw, as of 3 hours ago the chiller is working!?!? I dont know, I guess one of the last final smacks knocked somthing loose and its working now. Im gonna monitor it over the next week and decide if im going to keep it and send the one coming back or use the new current prime. Good news is I recieved StevieT's Custom Cup for my Tunze and now my tunze fits 100% in the tank.

yes 28G HQI

Btw, as of 3 hours ago the chiller is working!?!? I dont know, I guess one of the last final smacks knocked somthing loose and its working now. Im gonna monitor it over the next week and decide if im going to keep it and send the one coming back or use the new current prime. Good news is I recieved StevieT's Custom Cup for my Tunze and now my tunze fits 100% in the tank.

i just bought that tank and i'm really hoping i dont have to buy a cooler cuz my friend has the same one and he doesnt need one but now i am noticing lots of ppl with that tank actually do need one :/ How hot was your tank with no cooler? im guessing u dont need a heater

My heater never kicks on, but It is summer, so im sure in the winter it will be a different story. The tank with lights off sits at 78 degrees with no heater, all night. Thats with a Tunze 9002 skimmer, One stock pump at a time on, and my Mini Rapids Canister Filter Running. When I purchased the tank it got up to 83 degrees after about 6 hrs of light in a 76 degree room. Id say unless the tank is sitting in a constant air conditioned room of 72 degrees max and you only run about 6-7 hours of light then you will be ok without a chiller. Otherwise, your really going to have to look into some kind of cooling solution, either top off, fans , a chiller, or stare at your tank in the dark all day long =)

My heater never kicks on, but It is summer, so im sure in the winter it will be a different story. The tank with lights off sits at 78 degrees with no heater, all night. Thats with a Tunze 9002 skimmer, One stock pump at a time on, and my Mini Rapids Canister Filter Running. When I purchased the tank it got up to 83 degrees after about 6 hrs of light in a 76 degree room. Id say unless the tank is sitting in a constant air conditioned room of 72 degrees max and you only run about 6-7 hours of light then you will be ok without a chiller. Otherwise, your really going to have to look into some kind of cooling solution, either top off, fans , a chiller, or stare at your tank in the dark all day long =)

yea im gonna try to modify it to raise the top a few inches up...gonna do a tap water test this weekend, testing specifically for temperature :/

actually i wonder if this will do it for me...only $50!

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage...s_iceprobe.html

That's a good chiller, and a GREAT price too! Responding to your comment a few above, just because your friends may have the same tank as you and don't need a chiller, doesn't mean you won't. The biggest factor it's based on is YOUR ambient temps where the tank is at. If your's are even a couple degrees more, than can have a big impact on your tank temps. Also the equipment your running in it will affect things too. Just some stuff to keep in mind. ;)

SeeDemTails

I just got my 1/10th hp Current chiller, I love it. Im not sure how noisy some of you think it is, but I have owned a lot of loud tanks, and this thing is relatively quiet.

I got mine for like $255 on sale from the drs.

• 3 weeks later...

Same thing happened to my JBJ after 1 Month. I was pretty aggravated at first to learn that they wanted me to cover shipping for repair, which, given the distance would have been quite a bit. After a couple emails though they kindly agreed to pay both ways and it should be back soon. BTW, this one was a replacement for another that leaked on arrival. At least they seem to be taking care of customers.

I had a JBJ go out on me and got a current 1/15 as a replacement. The chiller definetely works but I find it alot louder than the JBJ. The main thing about it is the casing around the 1/15 doesn't seem to be very snug and often rattles like crazy. I found you can apply pressure at the back and make it much quieter

Archived