inTank Media Baskets

new nano questions???

audi206rs4

a couple things...

i have a 10 gal w/ a 2.5 gal as a refugium/sump.

i divided the refugium into 3 parts... the first part is the inlet from the 10 plumbed with pvc tubing and water flows into the 2.5 by siphon/gravity, the middle is for some live sand and caulerpa, and the third houses a 1200 maxi-jet pump to push water back into the tank.

1). should i put bio-balls in the first section before the caulerpa (i was recommended by a good honest guy who's been doing nanos for years now, but everybody on this site seems to be against them). he said since the caulerpa is pretty effective at removal of nitrates, i can use the bio-balls for the other type filtration.

2). the water flow seems to be pretty low even with the 1200 maxi-jet. i plumb the lines with a t-valve so i could get flow at the top and bottom of the tank. the tanks are on the same level surface and the maxi-jet has to water upwards. is the flow okay or am i just being paranoid?

3). i was planning on using between 10-15 lbs. of ls, but i've now been told twice to not put more than maybe a 1/4 inch just for asthetic reasons. they're reasoning is that the bed of ls will have dead spots and will become toxic? any insight?

thanks a bunch for any input....

come on peoples...???!!!

i'm a newbie, but come on... 20 views and not one person has any insight on any of the questions i have posted?

not meaning to be too demanding, but just looking for some help...

i've apparently have done some research and this is not a lazy questions, i've looked through a lot of threads and yet i don't have an answer!

thanks!

Your sump idea is basically what I did. Just instead of adding bioballs I just added some lr rubble that the lfs guy gave me for free. Know I just need to find some macro alage, got any?

Eddie

1) skip the balls, live rock & live sand is all the filtration you need.

2) I'm a big fan of water movement, have three AC mini's on my ten. I think water movement is a key deterrent to unwanted algae growth. Just set them up so you have good high flow areas and a few slower moving spots, I think wavemakers are the bomb!

3) Go with your 10-15 lbs. I have 12 in my 10, your clean-up critters will stir the sand to prevent dead spots, remember, this is a key component to your tanks filtration, quality live sand (full of living organisms) is a gret boost to your systems success.

Archived