Pod Your Reef

Fluval won't work

The Nomad

I have a Fluval 304

fluval.jpg

It has stopped working. This has happened several other times, but I have always been able to prime it and get it to work. It just won't suck up water... Air leaking in from somewhere? IDK. I cleaned it in vinegar and the top half with the motor works fine in a tub of water. The hoses are not clogged. The gasket seems fine.

Anyone have a similar problem or any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

try and manually start the siphon.
That's what I meant by priming it.
You didn't assemble the top part backwards did you?

Not THIS time :lol:

Thanks!

don't the fluvals have that little plunger to start it?

try filling up the supply tube with water without flow into the filter, then open flow and see what happens.

Otherwise try filling the whole unit with tank water and then prime?

They can be a real PITA. I've spent like 30 minutes sometimes priming mine on my brackish tank.

don't the fluvals have that little plunger to start it?

try filling up the supply tube with water without flow into the filter, then open flow and see what happens.

Otherwise try filling the whole unit with tank water and then prime?

They can be a real PITA. I've spent like 30 minutes sometimes priming mine on my brackish tank.

Yeah I did fill the whole thing, then put the top on, then filled it all the way before adding the hoses.

I then submerged the intake hose as much as possible before plugging the fluval in. Then I tried to prime it,(little plunger). It never feels like it gains suction. I think I've narrowed it down to the intake hose getting air from somewhere. I think I'll try to switch the hoses and see if the return hose will suck.

Thanks for the reply.

Welcome to the world of Fluval! Thats why I hate these fitlers. They are very moody sometimes. Mine seem to start every third time. The other times it takes lots of shaking and priming and cussing until they finally start. Check the ball on the intake. I have the ball stuck sometimes. Also if you are using the OEM tube and fittings, the intake tube has to be firmly in the little rubber fitting or else air gets in.

Wait!!!

Isn't there a little check ball inside the water inlet cage?

If you pump the plunger too hard this will sometimes come dislodged and prevent proper operation, check that!

Thanks all! First off, I have cleaned everything. Hoses are clear. It pushes water in the tub(just the top).

I've had that problem with the ball before, that's not it this time. I tried to switch the hoses to see if the intake hose maybe was faulty, no dice. IDK

Did you pop out the impeller to make sure its not snagged or anything? I had that happen once too.

I took apart the whole thing to clean and check it. Took all the screws out, total disassembly and reassembly.

I took apart the whole thing to clean and check it. Took all the screws out, total disassembly and reassembly.

using the suction (plunger) primer always works for me, but try sticking a strong powerhead into the drain and manually siphon the return.. alot of work, but had to do it every time for an older model fluval..

using the suction (plunger) primer always works for me, but try sticking a strong powerhead into the drain and manually siphon the return.. alot of work, but had to do it every time for an older model fluval..
Yeah it will not prime :angry:

I May have to try the powerhead remedy, thanks.

Archived