Top Shelf Aquatics

CA Reactor

edmund67

Are there benifits to using a ca reactor vs the an ionic ca additive? Are ca reactors over-rated? I am curiuos, because I'm considering getting one. But before I do, has any switched to a ca reactor, and benifited? ur response is much appreciated.

Ca reactors are generally for tanks larger than a nano, they are great for tanks which consume a large amount of Ca, ie. lots of stony corals.

Dosing Kalk will provide most of your calcium requirements, up to a point, and when you get to this point is when you need to consider a Ca reactor. Kalk will raise your pH but a Ca reactor will lower it, so you should consider getting a pH monitor as well to make sure you are not overdoing things...

Dosing kalk is way cheaper than running a Ca reactor.

You may want to check out this article on selecting a suppliment scheme: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb...eb2003/chem.htm

-skeletor-

Also, I think your Ca requirements will drop off a bit once all the coralline algae has been established. While it is still growing, you need to put in ALOT! I dose kalk everyday (it's cheap if you use pickling lime!) and the coralline is growing slowly but steadily...slowly growing back where the horrors of shipping and cycling killed it off before....takes a long time though!

V

Archived