Top Shelf Aquatics

Why!!! what would cause it

Chrash236

I have a ten gallon tank that has been crystal clear and I just put in a new powerhead, and now the tank is cloudy and looks like crud, the powerhead is not stirring up sand or anything, the water is fine and all of my test show that its fine, so why would it be cloudy?

Did you wash off the powerhead with clean hot water first? Sometimes there are manufacturing residue/oils on the parts from the factory.

Also, what type of powerhead?

Describe the "cloudiness" a bit better: milky white or lots of floating sediment, is there residue sticking to the glass, etc.

May just be a coincidental event.

"When in doubt: DILLUTE" A partial water change couldn;t hurt.

Originally posted by Chrash236

selfrotates.

That took me a minute...SELF-ROTATES. Powersweep, then?

Milky white:

1. Do you have southdown substrate?

2. Do you dose anything? If so, how?

3. Is anything crusting the sides of the tank, or does the surface of your substrate/rock have anything accumulating on it?

Have no idea what southdown substrate is?

I does with kent marine liquid ca everyday 1 teaspoon

nothing on the side of the tank except alge and it was there before, snails are so lazy

great everything is fine, could it just be a weird thing that happened I am going to go home for lunch and look at it if its still cloudy I am going to do a 20% water change.

Ahh found out what it was my bubble tip anenome got suck up the filter and grinded up, it was nasty but the water is getting back to normal. I did a 20% water change at lunch and I will see what happens today. I only mad that I just bought the anenome for like 50 bucks and now its dead. Maybe the little pieces I can’t find will grow new ones and I can sell them and make a fortune.

Should have done a little more reading on anemone-tank-prep. It's VITAL to have all powerheads protected with foam blocks to avoid just this problem. Also shouldn;t have any heaters in the display tank to avoid them attaching and burning themselves before they can remove their foot.

Archived