Pod Your Reef

UV submersible

NanoNana

Why do you think you'll need UV sterilization?

Well... ich guard, I guess. And, they do keep the production of algae down some, in my experience with bigger systems. ALSO, you don't have to run carbon if you have an effective UV sterilizer.

Call it habit? I'm coming from a deluxe 175 system to the world of nanos.

I guess I wouldn't bother with it, but I'm a miser. B)

I'll be interested to see if anyone has had experience with this product.

• 2 weeks later...
Reefer33<(((<

I bought a submersible from Petsmart. It is a 24 watt. Kind of long and ugly with a cheapo power head attached. I am using it to help my reef get over an ich infestation. A lot of hobbyists would sound the alarm to anyone utilizing a UV to prevent or rid the tank of ich, but in my head and my tank it works and makes sense.

As I unsertand it, ich has a life cycle where it goes from attaching, to dropping to the substrate to free swimming. The more this cycle happens over and over again without any inhibiting factors, the less of a chance a fish has to use it's own immune system to ward off the reproducing and over populating invader. I figure and I know from UV use, that during that free swimming stage, running a UV slowly will help to slow down the infestation to the point that the fish, hopefully still eating, can use it's own defenses to better itself. It works for me and the cheap $60 in tanker UV that I have has kept me from losing my gramma and blue tang.

WindCloudWRX
I bought a submersible from Petsmart. It is a 24 watt. Kind of long and ugly with a cheapo power head attached. I am using it to help my reef get over an ich infestation. A lot of hobbyists would sound the alarm to anyone utilizing a UV to prevent or rid the tank of ich, but in my head and my tank it works and makes sense.

As I unsertand it, ich has a life cycle where it goes from attaching, to dropping to the substrate to free swimming. The more this cycle happens over and over again without any inhibiting factors, the less of a chance a fish has to use it's own immune system to ward off the reproducing and over populating invader. I figure and I know from UV use, that during that free swimming stage, running a UV slowly will help to slow down the infestation to the point that the fish, hopefully still eating, can use it's own defenses to better itself. It works for me and the cheap $60 in tanker UV that I have has kept me from losing my gramma and blue tang.

cad has a drop down UV. i wonder how good it is.

cad has a drop down UV. i wonder how good it is.

it's unshielded, so it's kinda dangerous in that sense, unless you handle it when turned off (which one should anyways). It's 6w also which is borderline being useless on a larger tank like the CAD and it isn't powered by a pump, so water might move past it faster than you'd want for it to be effective.

The JBJ one I've heard is decent though, and comes with it's own pump built-in. I'd go for the 7w on over the 5 if it'll fit...

It really depends on the size of your tank. Be careful with the JBJ 5W heating up a small tank (5-12 gallon). The wattage from the powerhead combined with the heat from the UV bulb combined to raise tank temperatures over ten degrees into the nineties in only a few hours. Luckily, I was able to catch it in time before the heat killed anything. The unit as a whole is fairly quiet, though bulky with the ballast for the UV lamp being almost as big as the unit itself. The powerhead requires a separate power cord.

it's unshielded, so it's kinda dangerous in that sense, unless you handle it when turned off (which one should anyways). It's 6w also which is borderline being useless on a larger tank like the CAD and it isn't powered by a pump, so water might move past it faster than you'd want for it to be effective.

The JBJ one I've heard is decent though, and comes with it's own pump built-in. I'd go for the 7w on over the 5 if it'll fit...

Archived