Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tech CB parts A and B, help

NotAPiscivore

NotAPiscivore

I received some bottles of Tech CB parts A and B from a friend who was shutting down his tank. I would like some general information on how to use them. I would like to increase my calcium levels. My calcium is at 360 (which is the level I get from using Reef Crystals salt mix... from what I read this is low for this mix... but verified by free water tests at LFS).

So I think one is a buffer and the other adds calcium? To increase my calcium level should I just add one of them or add them both in equal amounts as is suggested on the bottle.

Thanks!

NotAPiscivore
When you first start using them you can add them in different amounts to bring the levels in check. Once you have them in line then you are supposed to dose them equally based on your tanks consumption rate.

This calculator will help tell you how much to dose:

http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html

From the link you sent it looks like part A is what I will be dosing with to increase calcium. I have a 24gallon aquapod. If I were to bring it from 360 to 420 is says I need 3.3 ml and will not have a strong effect on pH. What increments should I use (ml/day) to get to this value safely?

Thanks.

I think it says in the response after you calculate it, but you don't want to go up in Ca more than 100ppm / day. Therefore you can dose it all at once.

Alk is a different story. More than likely it will have a dramatic shift in Ph. I would add that portiong VERY slowly. LIke... add some... leave... come back and dose some more.

Ben

SeeDemTails

You shouldnt start dosing anything until you buy your own tests. Otherwise, you are really asking for it!

Calculators are great, but nothing more than a baseline. Every tank is different!

You shouldnt start dosing anything until you buy your own tests. Otherwise, you are really asking for it!

Calculators are great, but nothing more than a baseline. Every tank is different!

+1

NotAPiscivore
+1

Thanks I agree too and I do have all the necessary test kits (that is all, but iodine b/c its super expensive and my LFS will do it for 5 dollars if I ever want to have it checked). Currently iodine is the only thing I am using other than salt mix since I have read that pulsing xenia love it. All levels that should be zero are zero.

So for alkalinity it is the ability to neutralize an acid right? So essentially alkalinity is the 'strength' of buffer to maintain pH?

Thanks I agree too and I do have all the necessary test kits (that is all, but iodine b/c its super expensive and my LFS will do it for 5 dollars if I ever want to have it checked). Currently iodine is the only thing I am using other than salt mix since I have read that pulsing xenia love it. All levels that should be zero are zero.

So for alkalinity it is the ability to neutralize an acid right? So essentially alkalinity is the 'strength' of buffer to maintain pH?

Good! Yes... Alk not only contains stuff which is obsorbed by hard corals, but it does buffer Ph. Many people, including myself, just use Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) for alk. You should DEFINITELY test Alk, Ca and Mg if you start keeping any hard corals.

Archived