Coral Vue Hydros

Question on RODI waste water

CorvetteJoe

CorvetteJoe

Part of the selling point to the wife for the RODI unit I got was that I could make her drinking water so she could stop using those stupid Britta filters that take up so much space in the fridge.

I was noticing the waste water from the RODI unit was just filtered water to some degree... but a friend brought up an interesting point. The waste has a lot of unfiltered stuff still in it, which isn't a problem, but that unfiltered stuff is now in a greater concentrate being that its the same stuff in less water coming out. or does the filtration take most of it out?

Question is, is the waste water safe to drink?

Or should I just stick to finding some other use for it (washer, plants, etc).

Never mind, I think I answered my own question:

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13890

Lots of positives there.

I'd still like to hear some other options here on drinking it.

I read those "what do you do with your waste water" threads on here all the time, but rarely do I see anybody mention drinking it.

So you really WANT to drink water that is actually dirtier than the water coming out of your tap?

Really??

CorvetteJoe
So you really WANT to drink water that is actually dirtier than the water coming out of your tap?

Really??

LOL how is running water through carbon and mechanical filtration dirtier than tap?

It's not "waste" its just water that isn't 100% pure for the reef tanks.

And BTW, I do drink tap water. Its extremely clean where I live. Our entire area is above and surrounded by aquifers.

Anyhow, I read through that entire link I posted above... looks perfectly safe to drink :)

HecticDialectics

If you start off with like 600tds water, then the waste water would be pretty nasty. Like I think someone else said, if you start off pretty low, there's not really any reason not to drink it. It's at least gone through carbon and sediment filters. :X My waste water is only like 250tds, so it's cleaner than a lot of people's regular tap water. :shrugs:

waste water has been rejected by the RO membrane. So its just like drinking water from your faucet with a brita filter on it. collect it and use it to water plants etc.

i water my plants with waste water.

250tds waste water? not too shabby. you could probably run that through the unit again for more ro/di water. lol

Tim

SeeDemTails

I drink RO/DI water, but only the stuff that comes from the blue tube. Sorry cant get over the "waste" part.

Archived