SaltCritters.com

What the heck is this?

1979camaro

I was at the LFS here today (Jeff's Exotic Fish in Gardena for So-Calers) and was looking around at the assorted polyps, etc...

anyway, I asked the guy what this was and he said "That is a Flame Polyp, it is a lot like a sun polyp" and i said to myself, self "that doesnt make sense, looks totally different...not to mention the polyps are fully extended in the bright light"

so i says to the guy "do you feed it, or is it photosynthetic" and he says "nah, we don't feed them, they just do fine with lights"

anyway...to expedite this post, i bought it cause it was very nice looking and in great shape on the premise that it was photosynthetic...brought it home and as expected it did not go into hiding in the tank (so i dont think its a sun polyp)...

now i want to know what it is so i can feed it if i need to...i have no reason to distrust the guy, everyone there is always very knowledgeable and helpful...im just confused so any help would be great

Kevin

oh yah, forgot to mention...it did suck in and flatten out when the lights went off and during transport...here is a picture of that

Ugh...you just got like the most difficult coral to keep! Flowerpots wither away within a year on most people's tanks. I have read an interesting theory, that this coral may do well in unusually "dirty" tanks; i.e. unskimmed tanks, with higher than usual amounts of algae, phosphates, and nitrates.

feed it brine shrimp waste water and cyclopee's. It will be a mohter f-er to keep alive though. They actualy thrive on "crap" they eat waste primarily. keep it in very low current also and if you have bright lghting keep it in a slightly dim area. FEED IT DAILY or it will turn brown on it base and buble up and deteriorate very very fast. This coralis just like the mandorin drogonet. It should be left in the ocean . It WILL die in 12-16 months garunteed in captivity reguardless how well youtake care of it. The LFs will tell you it is easy and is a great beginner coral! That is because they want to get rid of it before it dies on them.

Archived