Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

how to change from tap h20 to lfs ro/di?

Ascensive

how would you guys recommend me go about using ro/di water from the lfs? i used tap water to start the tank. i do not want to do that, anymore, so. what is the best way to change the water? just change it slowly through my weekly water changes? change it all, the quicker the better? do half? as far as my top off water, what water do i use to do that? should i buy some distilled water and use that? ive read about the bad stuff from tap water, in your tank, will just build up and crash it. who wants that?

additives. b-ionic?

i read the other posts regarding it. sounds like the way to go.

most importantly, my water. what to do? my xenia was great, until i did my first water change with it...shrunk up, and now is half the size.

thanks

jAy

From what I understand:

~around 10% water change

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

~top off water with RO, or distilled.

When it comes to topping off the water, I would do what I've read most here; just go to let say Walmart and buy a gallon of it. Or, go get a 5 gallon jug or 1 gallon, and have it filled at those 25cent places. I personally have an RO system at my house, and I will be using that.

MrConclusion

Most of the "chemistry" of your tank water is coming from your salt mix, so you don't need to stay with 10% changes.

I switched from tap water to distilled water, and then later to RO/DI water with no problems. I do 25% water changes - and as long as your temperature and salinity are the same, this will not cause a problem.

You can start using 100% RO/DI for evaporation topoff with absolutely no ill effects.

If you change 10% at a time, and factor in dilution, it will take ages to actully replace the water. See the chart below.

My normal water change is 25% done three times, three days in a row, every 2 weeks. After the dilution factor, this is an actual water change of just over 50% and the corals are very happy with it.

Archived