Top Shelf Aquatics

Gulfsurfer101's AP24 now AP12

gulfsurfer101

Thanks man, but when I was there a few months ago it was true blue skinned with purple growth and red polyps. I would have never guessed it was the same thing if it wasn't growing on the small peice of liverock I saw it attached to in the guy's SPS tank so he was left with a small frag. Everything I seem to bring back from his shop colors up really nice nice though under my sunpod. I imagine after a month or two it will be back to normal.

Ah, that stinks that it is browned out then. It should look excellent once it's colored back up, because it does already look good.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gulfsurfer101

I appreciate it, but you can see how that acro further up in my thread turned out after dropping it in my tank. I was red to begin with but now is super green with red polyps. I was thinking of calling it gulfs' super sunrise acropora since I have not been able to get a postive Id anywhere and if it keeps morphing like this it will be alsmost impossible to get one on it.

I might have missed it, but what is the kelvin rating on your bulb? That could have something to do with the color changes. My first was a 14K, and I had some really great, distinctive colors on my bird's nest. When I upgraded to the 250w Outer Orbit fixture, I tried going with the 10K stock bulb, which was really, really bright comparatively. It browned out the bird's nest in a week and even turned the tips a strange pink. I ended up getting a 20K rated bulb after looking through a lot of color comparisons and it brought the colors in my tank out really well. But, I also like a lot of blue.

Cool man, I really will appreciate the help. I will definitely make it worth your time too. I'll basically give you frags of whatever I have that is fraggable (could be about 10 frags or so).

gulfsurfer101

Yeah, I'm running 14k stock bulb as of now. I had a 10k 250 SE over this tank before and bleached out my brains and some acro. I got some excellent growth out of it but everything was brown. I brought them back with a 20K sps bulb but ran into heating issues so I just decide to go with the sunpod. I was looking into one of those german 20k's for this tank along with a small T5 fixure to throw across the back just to get some better blue and pink coloration in there.

Cool man, I really will appreciate the help. I will definitely make it worth your time too. I'll basically give you frags of whatever I have that is fraggable (could be about 10 frags or so).

Sounds good, just shoot me a reminder a little closer to the date and I'll be there.

Yeah, I'm running 14k stock bulb as of now. I had a 10k 250 SE over this tank before and bleached out my brains and some acro. I got some excellent growth out of it but everything was brown. I brought them back with a 20K sps bulb but ran into heating issues so I just decide to go with the sunpod. I was looking into one of those german 20k's for this tank along with a small T5 fixure to throw across the back just to get some better blue and pink coloration in there.

Sounds good, just shoot me a reminder a little closer to the date and I'll be there.

will do.

gulfsurfer101

Looks like I gotta make some room for frags then. I ditched that little frag rack since it kept annoying me with it's uglyness. I definately need something to keep things from being blown around on the bottom down there due to the powerfull MJ1200 in the middle placement. I guess I might give eggcrate a try and just krylon it black and try to hide it along the back somewhere. I really hate the way that stuff looks though and just don't like the look of it inside of a reef tank. I liked the idea of using clear acrylic but those mags were to damn huge and kept scratching the glass when I moved them up or down for cleaning around them.

gulfsurfer101

I decided to take out all the stuff that was growing that nasty green algea since I don't want any of it in this tank. I placed everything in my hermit heavy 33g under T5's. I was thinking it should survive in there but if not oh well, I will just stock up on better corals at a later time. I decided it would be better to keep it out than let it get established on these rocks that are looking so much cleaner. I imagine after a week in the 33 they will be free of all algea and pests since the rocks that were in this tank are already starting to look better after transferring them in there and those hermits are going to work on the algea growing off them at an unbeliveabley rapid pace. It looks kinda empty but it also looks really clean.

Looks like the tank is coming along nicely. How's the tank I gave you going? Have you made much progress on it yet other than the T5's? Also, you mentioned a while back possibly trying to get a ric pack... let me know if you're still interested.

Oh, and thanks for the zoa frag you gave me a while back, but unfortunately it disappeared not long after I put it in my tank... not quite sure what happened, but it was there one night and gone in the morning. It looks like my zoos are starting to fill in, so once I'm sure they're good I might try my hand at this whole fragging thing. If so I'll give you a heads up.

gulfsurfer101

That sucks to hear about them zoas. Hopefully they just detached from the plug they were on and floated somewhere they like better. I got a few rics in my 5g hex so I will probably pass on them for now till get a few more things filled out in this tank and toss the ones I have in there in here eventually. If you wanna try fragging out sometime shoot me a Pm and I'll get my dremel out. That tank you gave me is looking sweet. I plan on getting an acrylic sump made to fit under the stand and removing all the fish and stuff from in there and just making it a frag tank and display fuge. I had to frag those paly's off their rock and now are turning nuclear green being that close to the light. You can see them in my second pic on the top right.

gulfsurfer101

I'm just droping an update on this tank since I removed a lot of those corals with GHA growing wildly on them into my 33g I got from soundcard. Looks like the brain didn't fair too well and I chalked him up for toast but you never know with these things, a mushroom rock with about six reds looks like it now has none, but I'm not too concerned after doing my little shroombox experiment I now have about thirty of them growing on different little rocks. All the GHA that was growing on them is now completely gone and the rocks look like the ones sitting in my AP. I also added a small 2-3" rbta that I got a really good deal on considering how much they fetch. I will be looking into getting a frag rack put in there later today to keep thing from being stung to death till he finds a nesting spot he will like. I got him to stay on a nice coraline encrusted rock in my 5g hex but have a feeling we will move till he gets comforatable in his new home. Also looks like those anglers have vanished unless they made their way inot the sump which is unlikely and my clown of 2yrs has decided to do some floor surfing so I now need stocking opinions as to what really cool fish to keep in here. I will post pics of the new stuff later on tonight after I get some more work done in there.

I should have paid more attention to your previous posts, because I went to TFH yesterday and got a frag of that same blue coral (the one that's not positively ID'd). Oh well, hopefully it'll start doing well. I'll be posting some new pics later today to show the frags Glenn gave me and the new rockwork.

gulfsurfer101

Sounds pretty cool, I'd love to see some pics of what he hooked you up with. Somebody gave me a purple and yellow sea apple this weekend and since it's callled death in a tank, I just got it placed in a small ten gallon tank with a few pounds of LR and the old sand from this tank. I also got a small frag rack put in and looks like it's time to get another one built. I also placed everything that was in my litle 5g hex tank in here over the weekend so the gulfs little shroombox is no more. Here are some pics.

thingsNstuff010.jpg

RBTA

thingsNstuff005.jpg

Frag rack

thingsNstuff006.jpg

My favorite section of the tank so far

thingsNstuff017.jpg

thingsNstuff007.jpg

zoas at about mid placement

thingsNstuff040.jpg

bottom placement

thingsNstuff043.jpg

Superman starting to get some color back in it

thingsNstuff044.jpg

And finally the sea apple that ws given to me by some newbs looking to pawn it off at the LFS that wouldn't take it back. I have a small tank set up just for this thing since it will reqiure lots of feeding that I'm not willing to do in this tank. Just thought I'd drop a pic in here since it looks so cool.

thingsNstuff012.jpg

thingsNstuff013.jpg

This tank could be in the line of fire with hurricane Ike aproaching what looks like directly for my front door with little chance of missing this area. I plan on saving the monti's and other small frags, rbta, along with about 5pounds of Lr by keeping them in a spare AP12g I have sitting in my garage in my hotel room a few hundred miles north till I get back. This is the worst part about living in paridise, there's always hell to pay.

Big changes done to this tank just this morning. This tank was set up at GF's apartment on the other side of town. I got tired of paying to keep this thing going and not being able to be around to see it so I decided that since we got lucky and looks like were dodging yet another bullet with Ike I brought home all the stuff you see in this tank and crammed it into my AP12 with 150w sunpod sitting over it. I will hold on to this tank and get it set up sometime in the future when everything grows out in my smaller tank and I can sell a few frags out of it. I will get pics of it posted up later today and show how my superman is lighting up after being in my tank for just about three weeks now. I like everything in the smaller tank and I like the idea of not having to run to me GF's old place where this tanks was three times a week to fill up my resevior and do maintance in a hurry. It looks pretty sweet and not so bare as it did in this tank. I might just re edit this thread and show where it tranforms into this some what downgrade/upgrade. I don't know what to call it but I'm pretty happy with my latest desicion.

Pic time of my new tank from my old tank in my new place for my enjoyment.

First of all superman montipora starting to show through and I get that funny tingly feeling in my pants.

tankswap007.jpg

small orange cap I got for cheap

tankswap009.jpg

FTS of my still cloudy tank

tankswap010.jpg

and I decided to turn this

tankswap005.jpg

into this by taking to my new fave LFS and do a little trading for a more nano freindly creature

tankswap006.jpg

tankswap011.jpg

I will have to get a few shots of my zoa shelf placed on top of the rockwork after I get my camera's batteries recharged. The main concern is now what do I do to get my AP12g thread going and this one closed out since it's no longer up and running. Should I just pick up from here or should I start a whole new thread. All my equipment like overflow box and sump will be placed on my 28g tank later on.

I might just do that then. Looks like it's time to do some creative editing and the link will be here once I get the thread put together.

Thanks, I like it way better than the apple and he is not shy at all which I'm really digging. I'm thinking of adding a tiny clown in there and keeping the rbta I was planning on selling.

any chance you could chop off a little piece of that superman monti for a local?

Your tank will be fully stocked by this time tomorrow :) , and hopefully mine will still be thriving!

For you no prob. Let's get your tank set up and running and in about two weeks I should be ready to cut this thing after it fully colors up. You will be the first to get a chunk. Here's my one condition, if mine ever suffers a death like that of a nija warrior and yours grows out, I will want a small frag to replace loss. kinda like an insuarrance policy for my superman.

For you no prob. Let's get your tank set up and running and in about two weeks I should be ready to cut this thing after it fully colors up. You will be the first to get a chunk. Here's my one condition, if mine ever suffers a death like that of a nija warrior and yours grows out, I will want a small frag to replace loss. kinda like an insuarrance policy for my superman.

That's a given!

I'm going to Sutherlands in a little while to get the last of the plumbing pieces I'm going to need to re-plumb the tank. I'm also mixing up an extra 10g of sw to have on hand just in case. I'll give you a call a little later.

Archived