Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ranco temperature controller

d0ughb0y

Anyone here use the ranco temp controller? My tank temp stays below 80 most of the day so I don't need the fan on all day.

thinking of getting a ranco and have some questions for ranco temp controller owners.

Does the temp sensor go into the tank water? I can't find any kind of description if the sensor is water proof or reef safe, just mentions how long the line can be. Where do you put the sensor?

I take it a new unit has no electrical wiring and I have to put in the wiring myself, right?

is the unit powered by battery? I don't see any power cord in any picture of the unit.

Last question, how is the accuracy?

I am thinking of getting one from ebay ( $52.74 shipped). is there any other place to get it cheaper?

thanks.

Standard unit is 120VAC, so you will have to supply power. I bet that thermistor is metal and I would not stick it in my tank.

Standard unit is 120VAC, so you will have to supply power. I bet that thermistor is metal and I would not stick it in my tank.

+1

I bought one off Ebay for $40 new. The thermistor is already coated, but Ranco suggests to use heat shrink tubing on it. It works great. It keeps my temp at a constant 80. When comparing it to my Digital Therm it's abot .2 lower Whats more accurate, my digital Therm or the controller not sure but it's so close who cares. It's hooked up to a fan which I used to keep on all the time but that was a PIA . Now it turns on only when temp goes above 80.5.

Wiring is simple, then again I am an electrician. Simply buy a small extension cord, preferable heavy duty outdoor type. Cut it in 1/2 the one end with the male plug feeds the Controller, the other end of the cord will feed your device. There are detailed diagrams with it.

I bought one off Ebay for $40 new. The thermistor is already coated, but Ranco suggests to use heat shrink tubing on it. It works great. It keeps my temp at a constant 80. When comparing it to my Digital Therm it's abot .2 lower Whats more accurate, my digital Therm or the controller not sure but it's so close who cares. It's hooked up to a fan which I used to keep on all the time but that was a PIA . Now it turns on only when temp goes above 80.5.

Wiring is simple, then again I am an electrician. Simply buy a small extension cord, preferable heavy duty outdoor type. Cut it in 1/2 the one end with the male plug feeds the Controller, the other end of the cord will feed your device. There are detailed diagrams with it.

Thanks for the reply. you answered all my questions.

Is there a model with pre-coated thermistor? I am looking at ECT-111000

Do you remember the ebay seller you got it from? There is currently one available for bidding, but the seller got a few slow shipping feedback.

I am going to use it to control a fan. people in my house keeps bugging me why the fan needs to be on all day.

thanks.

Archived