Pod Your Reef

one vortech mp40 or two mp20 for 79 g tank

moonlightxpress825

moonlightxpress825

hi ..i dont really know what i should buy for flow...should i get one vortech 40 or two vortech 20 for my 79 gallon tank..the dimensions are 48 20 20...which would work better for flow in my tank..if i put two mp20 on the back of the tank..would it make a sandstorm?? or should i just put one 40 on the side?? please let me know..thanks in advance...

im running 1 mp40 on my 75g 48x18x18. the flow is great i can get a 2 inch wave across the tank if i want :D im running the mp 40 on the side and on the other side ive got a k2 on the back wall facing the front.

moonlightxpress825
im running 1 mp40 on my 75g 48x18x18. the flow is great i can get a 2 inch wave across the tank if i want :D im running the mp 40 on the side and on the other side ive got a k2 on the back wall facing the front.

do you think i can get away with just one mp40 on one side for growing sps??

moonlightxpress825
I would say go with 2x MP20s because you can then put one on each sdie glass and have them create chaotic motion.

k..thanks for helping me decide..i am gonna place the order now..marine depot on back order..so i am gonna pre order now..thanks

im not sure. ive got sps on the half by the 40 that r doing great. on the other half of the tank is mainly my carpet nem. the flow on that half is good just not as strong.

moonlightxpress825
im not sure. ive got sps on the half by the 40 that r doing great. on the other half of the tank is mainly my carpet nem. the flow on that half is good just not as strong.

thanks...thats what i wanted to do also..carpet on one side...

Go with one or two 40's. That way you have the option of doing sync'ed units via their RC system which is pretty slick. The 20's are nice but not worth it when you do the math.

Also it is *REALLY* going to surprise you as to how much and how strong a flow it puts out. I have a 40 in my 39G CAD tank and my SPS love it but I have to be very careful with it because stuff gets blown off the rocks due to the high flow.

FWIW I replaced 2 x Tunze 6045's and 2x Tunze 6025's with just one MP40 and with the flow output combined with the undertow it creates I have no dead spots in my tank even with all my rock.

moonlightxpress825
Go with one or two 40's. That way you have the option of doing sync'ed units via their RC system which is pretty slick. The 20's are nice but not worth it when you do the math.

Also it is *REALLY* going to surprise you as to how much and how strong a flow it puts out. I have a 40 in my 39G CAD tank and my SPS love it but I have to be very careful with it because stuff gets blown off the rocks due to the high flow.

FWIW I replaced 2 x Tunze 6045's and 2x Tunze 6025's with just one MP40 and with the flow output combined with the undertow it creates I have no dead spots in my tank even with all my rock.

hmm..you are right with the synch cause my friend told me that also..k..since the 20s on preorder anyway i should just call them and just tell them to send me the mp40...my tank is new so i doubt i need two mp20 for now..

Archived