ReefCleaners.org

skimmer question

nannodad

I want to put a skimmer on my AP12 but there doesn't seem to be many compact options that will allow me to keep my stock hood. So my thought was if I were to have a sump system in my cabinet and had a good skimmer that will probably be rated higher than tank's size, because all the good ones are. Could I just put a smaller pump on it than the stock one to slow its skimming to prevent over skimming and also put the skimmer on a timer so it only runs so may hours a day. Will this work?

if u change the pump on a skimmer it may not work all that well. id just leave it stock and also run it 24/7. a skimmer isnt going to pull out more than the tank will provide.

basically, if you put a skimmer that is too "powerful" on your aquarium and you don't supplement or do any water changes, the skimmer will being to rob your aquarium of some beneficial nutrients. for example, if you put a deltec mce600 on a 10g reef tank, you will be over skimming.

modifying your skimmer as you suggested is not a very good idea. your skimmer will basically not work and all it will do is move water around, waste electricity and create heat. i doubt that any skimmer that will actually fit inside an AP12 will be capable of over skimming it.

Tim

Didn't feel the need to start a new topic so I'm hijacking :P

I have a 29g and I just put a Remora pro w/ the Mag 3 and it's rated for tanks over 75g. Would that be considered over skimming? All I've ever heard is to get a skimmer that's rated for higher tanks. What gives?

BTW in the near future (a month) I'm upgrading to a 46g bowfront, would it be over skimmed?

Archived