SaltCritters.com

Gulf Rock vs Keys Rock @ liverocks.com

jameson

Hey all, i am just starting a 10g tank and thinking about ordering LR's from liverocks.com. They have a special 2.99/lb on gulf and keys rock. can anyone tell me what the difference is between the two, and how many lbs i will need for a 20x10x12 10g AGA tank? Also, has anyone ordered their Ultimate Live Sand?

Thanks,

JJ

I can't answer a lot of your questions, but I can suggest getting only between 10-15 lbs of rock for your 10g tank. I have 20 pounds in my 10g and it's crowded!

2.99 is a good price.

I think the big difference in the rock will be the kind of hitchhikers you'll get...

V

i emailed the guy at liverocks.com and he said that the keys rock is prettier and is better for bio filtration. he also said that it is pretty dense and heavy and reccomended 20 lbs for a 10 gallon tank. along with 10 lbs of live sand which is currently on sale for $1/lb!

I think the lighter and more porous rock is actually a more effective bio-filter ( more surface area ) ... in which case 20# would be a tight fit in a 10.

Wouldn't someone rather sell you more rock than less? The more dense the rock, the more # they can sell ya!

try searching for: live rock online

... you'll find discussions on lr suppliers, and I can bet you'll find better stuff than gulf/key rock for not too much more.

ps: fwiw, I've never added live sand and my sand is full of life B) try to find some southdown.

Best of luck with your nano!

dreamweaver_gcotb

I bought my live rock from www.liverocks.com too. Since I live about 15 minutes from their place, I picked it out myself. The Keys rock is fantastic and while it is dense, it has many, many tunnels and caves in it. I had a dozen crabs, a shrimp (pistol I think) and a fish hitch hike in the rock. I've watched that little fish for hours. I see him go in one hole and swim out another hole in a different area of the rock.

The difference I see between the Keys and Gulf rock is that the Gulf rock has more "critters" on it but the Key's rock has more coralline on it. Although I must admit that my Keys rock doesn't lack for life at all. When he gets in his next batch of Gulf Rock, I'll buy a few small pieces of that to put in my tank.

I also bought 1 lb of live sand from them to seed my sand. If I went back and redid things. I would have purchased all live sand from them. I like the look of it a lot better than the other sand I have.

Heck, why not buy half your rock from one place and the other half from somewhere else! Unless a turf war breaks out (or your wallet implodes from the shipping costs) that sounds like a win-win situation!

When I eventually get my sump/fuge set up, I want to buy like a 5 pound rock from one of those places (liverocks is probably cheaper for shipping for me) just to get some hitchhiker diversity!

V

I ended up ordering 20lbs Keys rock and 10 lbs live sand for my 10g, customer service was GREAT. Packing was also Great. In the package was a custom note to me describing where on the rocks there was coral. I got 1 little patch of coral, cant tell what it is yet. Also many hitchhikers, after i took the rock out of the package, there were like 5 snails, 5 stars, a ton of crabs, and some worms. Over all i am VERY PLEASED with the quality and especially the customer service of liverocks.com.

Jameson

dreamweaver_gcotb

More of those feather dusters will pop out over time. I thought I only had 4 or 5 of them but ended up with nearly a dozen. Some just stayed retracted longer than the others.

I too am EXTREMELY please with Liverocks.com. They are fantastic!!!

Will those feather duster, coral, star, and other live forms be survived during the cycling? Since my tank is newly set up, just water, will order LR & LS, so I don't want to lose those thing during the cycle period.

Archived