phaze5

ok did a test today getting ready for corals

sg-1.0235

ph-8.2

nitrite-0

nitrate-0

alk-87.5ppm

since I am kinda new to corals let me know if this is cool

it seems that the new people to this board have to reply to their own thread to get someone to say something.

alk is a bit low i would get it up to around 140ppm at least do u test ammonia calcuim maybe magnesium?? if you are going to have hard corals (lps) /invertabrates etc u want to make sure u maintain a good calcuim level and no mater what a decent alk level to keep a stable ph also good mag levels are a plus as well i follow these to a certain extent dont get too wraped up on numbers i tend to watch how my aquarium reacts over time and you get a feel to what parameters like to be at and when you should dose certain things... good luck Enjoy

Basic reef aquarium Guidlines

Specific Gravity 1.023 - 1.025

Temperature 72 - 78°F

pH 8.1 - 8.4

Alkalinity 8 - 12 dKH (142ppm / 215ppm )

Ammonia (NH3) Undetectable

Nitrite (NO2) Undetectable

Nitrate - Nitrogen (NO3) < 1.0 ppm

Phosphate (PO4) < 0.2 ppm

Calcium 350 - 450 ppm

Magnesium 1250 - 1350 ppm

Iodine 0.06 - 0.10 ppm

Strontium 8 - 14 ppm

modeldoctor

What are you using to test for ALK. I am used to meq or dkh. Also let us know where in the cycle you are and how long things have been running for. Do you have any ammonia? Also what hydrometer/refractometer are you using to test for SG? Also it is good to test for Ca but it's not as important with most of the corals that you would be starting with.

ok tank has been running for about 2 years(long over cycling)... I have a coralife deepsix hydro, and the instant ocean ocean master kit, I will test the amm. but I cant test the other til I get other kit(didnt come with) I just picked up the kent marine nano reef 2 part ion buffer kit, and I have the purple up(but I dont think thats helping). I am not looking to keep hard corals(yet)

it seems that the new people to this board have to reply to their own thread to get someone to say something.

Ha Ha....ok, customary two post minimum has been met by OP...begin help...

ok tank has been running for about 2 years(long over cycling)... I have a coralife deepsix hydro, and the instant ocean ocean master kit, I will test the amm. but I cant test the other til I get other kit(didnt come with) I just picked up the kent marine nano reef 2 part ion buffer kit, and I have the purple up(but I dont think thats helping). I am not looking to keep hard corals(yet)

okay to easy..... just bring your alk up a bit still good to keep a good level of calcium the mag isnt greatly over important ...but it is a part of the alk / calcuim relationship.... besides that your water is good mate

Archived