ReefCleaners.org

Grounding Probe

MiddReef

So after reading up on the importance of grounding probes, I shelled out the $15 for peace of mind. Anyways, I received a titanium probe from Drs. F/S, but I didn't realize it wouldn't have a full 3-prong plug attached to it. Instead, it has a ground "loop" that the instructions say to screw into the ground screw of a ground outlet. Unfortunately for me, I've only got a ground surge protector within the 10 foot range of the probe. Before I send it back, here's my question for all of the NR electricians out there:

Could I just place the loop around the ground prong on one of my other pieces of equipment before plugging it in, effectively hitching a ride to the ground? Or is that a horrible idea bound to end in failure and/or electrical fire? Looking to improve tank safety, not obliterate my house.

Thanks for tolerating the anti Coulomb...

-Midd

Yes you can "hitch" it onto another plug without problems. Use a GFCI as well, and put your entire system on its own breaker, appropriately sized for the anticipated peak load of the system. Both a GFCI and a ground probe together are the only insurance against electrocution.

A good article on the subject: (and a cautionary tale)

http://joejaworski.wordpress.com/2007/09/0...ist-found-dead/

Yes you can "hitch" it onto another plug without problems. Use a GFCI as well, and put your entire system on its own breaker, appropriately sized for the anticipated peak load of the system. Both a GFCI and a ground probe together are the only insurance against electrocution.

A good article on the subject: (and a cautionary tale)

http://joejaworski.wordpress.com/2007/09/0...ist-found-dead/

Thanks for the advice, I just get a little nervous whenever electricity and salt water come in close proximity....I appreciate your tips, I'm going to go rewire a bit here....

Just to check: basically I'm just fine having the metal loop off the probe to slip over the ground prong of a different 3 prong device. Right?

I bought a 3 prong end from Lowes. Took the 2 blades out and attached the probe wire to the ground. Plug it into a GFCI outlet.

Archived