Top Shelf Aquatics

to skim or not to skim

newcastle1

help is needed as im new to this. just get my kit together juwel lido120,juwel internal fliter, t5 lighting,koralia nano pump.

but now the question do i need a skimmer?or will good ro water changes be upto the job of keeping the water in tip top condition?

cheers newcastle1(uk)

lakshwadeep

120 liters is around 32 gallons, and so you could get more than 3 small fish or a smaller number of larger, more active fish. Check lgreen's fish guide for more info.

weekly water changes and no "perfect water quality" corals like SPS will mean little need for a skimmer.

around 30g is a good volume to skim. though, on a tank like that, i think it's only benefit would be smaller and less frequent water changes. it certainly can't hurt. and if you decide to keep coral or upgrade (which believe me, you will) you'll already have it.

thx for all the good info but the juwel hood looks like a right bit~h to mod for a skimmer and the tank will be placed close to my house wall so no space at rear for skimmer.

thx for all the good info but the juwel hood looks like a right bit~h to mod for a skimmer and the tank will be placed close to my house wall so no space at rear for skimmer.

then i guess u just answered ur own ?

How much room do you have for the skimmer in the skimmer chamber?

Height, width etc, and where is your water level at...is it constant?

CorvetteJoe
but do i need a skimmer (no corals fish only)

Nope not for that size.

just do weekly water changes religiously and you wont need to skim.

Archived