inTank Media Baskets

Who uses black electrical tape in salt water?

FishyIdea

I have read a handful of posts here and there where someone used black electrical tape to solve this or that problem. I want to use it for pure vanity's sake. I want to black out the logos on powerheads and make my white topoff device black (tape the cord and snail guard).

How widespread is this practice? Any known or assumed cons? I haven't found any cons mentioned in my various searches.

I'd just wait for some coraline algae to cover it all up :-)

Can't you pull the logos off the powerheads ?

I don't know if the glue on the tape is toxic of not but I wouldn't think it would hold very well in salt water.

What about using some paint ?

-skeletor-

electrical tape will not work in water, it is meant for dry surfaces, Maybe a permanent marker or some paint? Im not sure what the trade name is, but they do have black duck tape. That will work, just cut it up into a small piece. Not sure on the toxicity tho, hth

my zoomed can be peeled I think but some of the minijets have green plastic parts. I think sanding could work on a couple of ones with painted logos. Good tip.

As for painting, well I've read mixed things. I was thinking that taping might be less controversial. If you guys know of a "safe" black paint, I'd love to hear it. I'm off to search on black paint.

As far as the tape not holding, no one has reported that.

Im sure you have some electrical tape lying around, just take some of it and try to stick it to something plastic and then put it in a cup of water. Problem solved, you will see it will not stick well, as I said before.

Quash,

I believe you. I was writing my last reply while you posted yours.

As for paint, one long time member here confesses to using black Krylon that has been cured for a week. A couple of other vague positive reports. Most people are against paint.

A lot of people seem to trust in the power of coraline:)

So I'm going to peel my ZooMed. Use only all black Aquaglobes and try to find a black container to function as my top-off snail guard.

That solves my initial set up problems. I'd still be interested to hear other reports on paint or tapes in the tank.

Thanks all.

I've used electrical tape to hold things together under water, a power head intake to a filter box. the end would come loose but if you wrapped it tight enough and enought times arround it held well (several months before i chnged the setup) never noticed any toxic side effects.

As for paint, never used it inside the tank and probably wont

Archived