Coral Vue Hydros

brain not opening

Greg333

I have had a large brain coral for 6+ months. I'm not sure what kind it is. It is mainly green with some pink in it. It always opens fully every morning, but the last week it has stayed closed, it still has good color but won't open. I've checked my water and it's good and all other corals are doing great.  what might be the problem? Should i try feeding it?

Have you been feeding it at all.  All corals need to be fed pretty much.  Expection is some mushrooms, but all lps I think need to be feed. Try a small piece of shimp.

Since you leave stupid messages... maybe it would be a good idea to put down the bong and grow up alittle. The message board is here to provide help to salt water hobbyists, not pot heads !!

appstateguy

oh yeah and i almost forgot... For good health, you should need to add additional calcium, strontium, and other trace elements to the water. Additional food in the form of micro-plankton or brine shrimp fed in the evening when its tentacles are visible is also recommended.

No harm done, thanks for the advice. I don't seem to see these "tentacles" at night that people are telling me about. I tried to put a piece of shrimp on it last night but it made no movement to take it.

Reefer Madness

Argh,

Im having the same problem with my bubble coral, its not opening, I havent attempted feeding yet, I think Ill try that in a few more days if leaving it be doesnt work, blasted thing =)

• 3 weeks later...

I agree on feeding it regularly.  I had a 6" open green brain that I fed a chunk of fish about twice a week.  If you know where its "mouth" is located, just dangle the scrap of food right there, and it will usually open up in a few minutes and engulf the food, then swell up really big for a few hours.  With the brain, if it wouldn't open up, I'd just very gently wedge the food down where its tentacles would be if it was open, and leave it on its own, making sure there was no strong current directed towards it.

Which brings me to a second point:  you might try some different current strengths and directions to see what it likes.

ive had my brain for a few months now. when it swells up and gets all big at night there should be small feelers that come out from a little groove all around the brain. mine does it everytime i turn the lights out.

• 1 year later...

Brains are generally lower light corals in my experience and often have difficulty adjusting to new lighting conditions. Have you increased the light recently? I would avoid trying to force feed it. if the tentacles are not open and you try to shove food on it it will just remain closed and all you will do is pollute the water. Iv also found them to be touchy towards temp. The periods of refusing to open in my brains coordinate with temp swings.

Here you can see a few of the tentacles on my red open brain.

openbrain.JPG

Archived