Coral Vue Hydros

2x70 DE MH + 55W Actinic over 18H = Too Much

Jahkaya

With all the 70 MH ballast hype going on I intend to put a few on my new 18H. Are 2 70watts plus a 55 watt actinic going to be just too hot over a 18H? Will the extra 70 Watt really make a difference in growth.

To sum it up, is the extra 70 watts really worth it? Am I just going over board? I know you can never have too much light, but will I just run into heat issues even with fans in the hood?

What is your opinion?

I have a 175W 20K XM + 2 x 55W PC actinics over my 20, with a single 4.5" 110v fan at one end of the canopy.... water temp doesn't get much above 80. The AC runs in the house all the time tho and I evap over 1/2 a gal per day....

Anyway, the theory I read somewhere was that higher wattage bulbs were required the deeper your tank is, so, you may want a single 150W DE over the two 70W's to get good light penetration down to the bottom of the tank.

how tall is an 18H anyway ?

-skeletor-

I will probably just stick with one and put two four inch fans in the hood. I don't see why I would need that much more. I would imagine a 70 watt MH would punch down deeper than PC any day.

Archived