Cultivated Reef

fuge outside tank?

Chyendra

i want to set up a 20L reef w/fish and i am wondering if adding a fuge will help avoid algea problems, and keep my water conditions more stable?

i'd like to have a fuge outside of my tank, as to not take up any room with in my tank.

how would that work? a 10 gallon set up nearby with pumps and tubeing conecting them? can i use regular full spectrum florecent lights on the fuge, or do i need PCs like i have over the tank?

ELGORDOINAVW

for a fuge any lighting will do, the easiest way to do it is to have it is to pump water into the 10 gallon and let it gravity feed via a bulkhead. it will significantly reduce the amount of algae in your display tank. also the added water volume will help keep water conditions more stable.

that sounds like the way to go, the only problem i'm finding is a place to put a ten gallon tank that's ABOVE my aquarium. i have a small bedroom with very little available room (as i already have 3 aquariums) is it possiable to set one up below aquarium level?

use and overflow box and siphon the water to the ten gallon, and then pump the water back up (use a small hole near the water line to break the siphon in case of power outage)? would that work? or would a pump in my fuge distroy things?

EDIT

scratch that, i juggled some stuff around and made room for above my book shelf next to my tank. It's only slightly above but i think it will work.

i bought a 5 gallon heavy duty clear plastic storage tub thing today at walmart for only $2.50 that's what i'm going to use, and it would be easy enough to get another one for added water capacity. as far a a bulk head? how exactly does that work (or even look like?)

what cheap powerheads do you guys like to use?

powerhead ideas?

it's going to have to push water about 19"- 22" from the bottem of my tank to the fuge. appox. how many GPH should i need to do that?

right now i'm looking at either the RIO 200gph or the maxijet 600 (160gph)

Archived