Top Shelf Aquatics

Ska's Blue 28

skabooya

Wimby im sure your probably sick of hearing it as much as I am but Im sorry for your loss, its not easy by any means.

Yup im doing what your doing too. Its hard for my mom to do all the paperwork associated with this so its almost all me doing it. Tomorrow its a bank appointment to cancel the account and then wednesday is an appoitment with the lawyers.

Every guy in my family has so far died from lung cancer. Friggin factory they worked in.

post-39884-1247018195_thumb.jpg

post-39884-1247018212_thumb.jpg

post-39884-1247018280_thumb.jpg

post-39884-1247018293_thumb.jpg

I'm so sorry to hear that. Good luck with your paper work I'm finally getting stuff back here . It would've been easier if my father left stuff around for us to find. Hopefully when i"m off in Aug I can start my tank.

Orders from JLA came in today. Waiting on bulk reef supply (prob next week) and I still have to build the stand then the magic will happen.

Yipeee!!! Don't ya just love deliveries? I am getting a bulk reef one on Fri and I have half a stand. See we are so moving along with our tanks.

HAHAHAHA slowly but surely. They will eventually get started LMAO.

And yes it feels like christmas or a birthday or something when a package comes :)

My order from bulk reef should be comming next week . And i still need to build my stand... unless i can find a suitable replacement that fits in that particular area.

YAY to us!!!

Yes Yay us LOL . As soon as my tank comes back from being drilled I will start a thread. All I'm getting is new filters for the RO from Bulk reef so I can start to make cleaner water LOL I still have to sell the Freshwater tank that is in the spot where my new tank is going. Then I will start the switch over. I'm thinking on how fsat I am moving this should be done by Sept LOL Can't wait to see yours all up and going. For my 30gl wich is also 36inches I found an old desk in the garbage cleaned it up and whala tank stand that was a good day of curb shopping :D

• 4 months later...

Well my father in law finally built the stand for my tank and painted it for me. But im not allowed to have it until christmas. Which means i should be setting up my new tank by the new year YAY!!!!.

Its not gonna be easy going as I get bigger and bigger in my pregnancy. 20 weeks tomorrow. Excited and freaked out all at the same time.

Congrats On the Stand and the Little baby. Can't wait to see the tank all set up and filled I started up a 75 finally took forever. Going real slow with it. Good Luck with yours Gonna be a great New Year for you.

• 1 month later...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY!!! Tank and stand are in place. Geez this reef stuff takes forever lol.

Im in the process of marking final exams for my classes but I want to get all things organized under my stand today.

I also need to find a small container so i can make distilled water and store it there so i can calibrate my refractometer.

Now i want to get it right. Im so excited im forgetting where to start.

Step 1: fill tank with water and mix salt in it until desired salinity All powerheads turned on

Step 2: put rocks and sand in tank

Step 3: Buy LR to seed the tank

Step 4: Wait patiently for cycle to be over

Step 5: buy CUC

Step 6: Buy more CUC if previous CUC has croaked or is not doing its job well enough

Step 7: Buy inverts

Step 8: Buy some corals added at 2 week intervals so as not to overwhelm the system

Step 9: Buy 2 true percs

Step 10: Turn on skimmer

Am I missing anything? Should i change the steps? Add steps? Let me know PLEASE.

I dont want to forget anything and with times being as stressful and busy as they are (only going to get worse with baby comming in 3 months) I need step by step

Tested SG today and it was 1.026. I know its in range but its up there. I would like it at 1.024-25. But instead of adjusting it now i added sand and some dead LR. Cant see a thing in there. I will test again after the storm settles and all the rocks are added so I can adjust water then. Just in case Argag alive changes SG at all. The bag of sand came with a water clarifier thingie in a bag. I didnt bother adding it.

Next step either turning on Skimmer or waiting to go to LFS to buy LR for seeding

Hoping to get pics up later today.

Dead rocks are in and Im still waiting for the water to settle some more. It looks a lot better than it did earlier today.

Tunze 9002 skimmer is turned on and is very quiet.

When i get out to the lfs I will be purchasing some LR to seed this tank. The right hand side needs more rock anyways.

Then the wait begins

Went to the lfs today to pick up some LR but there is none. They get their rocks shipped in from Haiti and everyone knows what just happened there. They are trying to find another dealer to get some more rock in but the Jakarta dealer wont respond to them. I guess Im waiting longer than I want too.

PS this tank will have a lot of macro in it. Any tips for a good macro tank would be very helpful.

Will a coral beauty eat up my macro algae?? Ive been reading a lot saying no they wont but I dont understand because they are herbivores. someone explain???

• 1 month later...

Well, once again much time has passed with no updates. Still waiting to get some LR to seed the system. I will not considered the cycle started until I get LR. Looking at JLA LR. Im hoping they have some because the lfs from here to PG dont have any. They aparently get their supplies from Haiti and we all know what happened there.

Currently I am topping off every 3 days (1gal). The salinity changes from .025 to .029 or .030 within that time. Is that too much of a swing for livestock every 3 days??

I did however neglect the tank for a whole week (no topoffs) because my grandfather had passed away due to kidney failure from diabetes. Its been tough but Im sure my mom is having it harder. Her husband and her dad both gone within just under 7 months and now I have an uncle who is really sick and is being tested for pancreatic cancer. My husbands grandpa is also sick. Hes been in the hospital since christmas and has had 4 surgeries thus far. Hes got colon cancer and they found lumps in his lungs. The docs keep going back and forth whether it is cancer or not. Its like they dont know what they are doing in that hospital. (different from ours).

I am also now 32 weeks pregnant (about 8 weeks left to go) and Im scared as hell of "THE DAY". My hips are killing me, cant sleep, BH contractions, nausea, hot flashes, etc etc etc. Its not fun. But feeling my little man move is amazing and I wouldnt change that for the world.

I want to get the cycle started and a few macros in the tank before the birth so I dont have my hands in that tank much if at all.

Archived