inTank Media Baskets

My First Nano!

fraggle

All-

Thanks to all of you I just got my first nano-reef going. I have kept a 55g, but I sold it due to having to move. I got a bit of a delay on my nano, since I had to go to Okinawa for almost a month, so my tank sat unstirred (not to my knowledge, my fiance turned it off) for almost a month, and I ordered my rock while I was in Japan to be delivered today, so that I could get started.

Well, I got back, and my whole tank is covered in film (is it salt?), and my rock was delivered, so I got the film off as best as I could, and had to stir the southdown a bit (now my tank is a mess again), and put in my rock. The salinity is stable at 1.023, so hopefully I am not going to kill this rock. I also have my 1x96w coralife going. This is a 12g. 12lb's Marshall Island. I just hope I am not off to a bad start. How often should I do my water changes with this new rock in there? It was uncured rock, but I don't see hardly any die off....

Thanks!:*(

EDIT: I will start posting some pictures also...And FYI, I got my rock from premium aquatics.

ELGORDOINAVW

why stir the sand? i would add about 6 more pounds of live rock. the film what did it look like?color? as for water changes i would say every two weeks.

Originally posted by ELGORDOINAVW

why stir the sand?  i would add about 6 more pounds of live rock. the film what did it look like?color? as for water changes i would say every two weeks.

I didn't really stir it, just kind of moved it around a bit since it sat for 2 weeks with no movement. I can't tell if the film was just settled sand, or salt...either way I wiped it off. Before I went back to work, the water was already clearing up. I am pretty excited. I will be adding more rock...With the 12 lbs, it seems like quite a bit in the tank...The Marshall Island has a lot of pores...I may add a few more pounds later. I just didn't want to overdo it.

Just an update:

The tank is crystal clear now, and the rock is starting to look a bit more alive, I noticed some tubes in the sand this morning after the lights had been out all night. Exciting! Hopefully, since there was little die off, this will cycle quickly...

Archived